Student Handbook | SCC

Student Handbook

Somerset Community College provides high quality, affordable, and accessible education and training to create student success, economic growth, and enhanced quality of life.

Somerset Community College, a member of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System, is a public associate degree granting institution serving the south-central region of Kentucky.

SCC Board of Directors: July 25, 2019
KCTCS Board of Regents: September 20, 2019

The Vision of Somerset Community College is to be the first choice for higher education and workforce training in the Southern Kentucky region.

SCC supports student success by incorporating the following Core Values in all that we do:

  • Integrity and excellence
  • Care and compassion
  • Equity, inclusion, and diversity
  • Collaboration and teamwork
  • Flexibility and continuous improvement
  • Creativity and innovation
  • Openness and accountability
  • Data informed decision making
  • Critical thinking and problem solving
  • Community-centered approach


A student enrolling at Somerset Community College for the first time must apply for admission. Students who are re- entering college after being out for one or more semesters should submit a new application to start the Admission process. Students may be admitted to a KCTCS college as freshmen, as a returning student, as students with transfer credit from other institutions, as visiting students, or as non-degree students. Somerset Community College admits students who have graduated from high school, who have earned a high school general equivalency diploma (GED), who have completed a home school curriculum, who are dually enrolled in high school and the college, or who have been admitted into specialized programs designed for students who have not graduated with a secondary degree listed above.
  • Students should apply online at or contact the Admissions Office.
  • The full and proper name of the student and college-assigned student I.D. number must be used in registration and for all other official purposes.
  • Students entering college for the first time are required to provide an official copy of their high school transcript to the Admissions Office. Transcripts can be sent electronically, through postal mail or hand delivered in a sealed envelope. Circumstances of exception may apply and will be evaluated as these situations arise.
  • Students who have taken the GED are required to have an official copy of their GED Score Report sent to the Admissions Office.
  • Students who have attended any post-secondary institution outside of KCTCS are required to provide an official transcript from each college attended to the Admissions Office by way of postal mail, electronically or hand delivered in a sealed envelope. Transcripts must be printed within the past 6 months.
  • Students should submit results for the ACT, SAT or approved assessment, which can be found in the KCTCS College Assessment and Placement Policy, prior to enrollment. Students who have not taken the ACT, SAT or approved assessment must successfully complete the placement examination administered by the college. (See the KCTCS College Assessment and Placement Policy for specific information regarding scores.)
  • Students seeking admission to an occupational/technical program should contact the program division assistant for information regarding any special requirements for admission.
  • Applicants must file an application for admission, successfully complete orientation, submit supporting documents and meet with the appropriate advisor prior to the first day of classes of the term or session for which they plan to enroll. The Admissions Office will notify the applicant of his or her admission status and documentation needed for acceptance.

At the discretion of the college, persons who desire instruction without wishing to earn a credential may be admitted as non-degree/non-credential students. These students are exempt from taking the assessment instrument; however, all students (including high school students) must meet individual pre-requisites such as those for entry-level English and mathematics courses. Students may declare credential seeking status after meeting regular admission requirements. The college may review and reclassify credential-seeking status in accordance with policies established at each individual college. Non-degree/non-credential students are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid programs. Credit earned before a student meets admission requirements will be counted toward a credential.

The condition of graduation from high school may be waived for a student currently enrolled in high school. This is subject to the following guidelines.

  • All applicants shall submit:
    a KCTCS application for admission to Somerset Community College by the appropriate deadline
  • Results of the ACT, SAT or other approved assessments in accordance with the KCTCS College Assessment and Placement Policy.

A college may require additional information as part of the admission process. In some cases, courses offered on the high school campus carry both high school and college credit. See your high school counselor for more information.

In addition to the general admissions requirements, every International applicant who is attempting to obtain an F-1 Visa must meet the overall requirements, standards and guidelines of local and national immigration laws and regulations in order to be granted student visa status. In general, students requesting the college to issue the I-20 must show proficiency in the English language by submitting scores from one of the accepted English as a Second Language tests or other acceptable proof. They will also need to submit financial documentation, and have all postsecondary transcripts evaluated and translated through a NACES certified service. Refer to SCC International Students for more information.

A student who has previously attended a college or university – other than a college in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System – and who has less than an overall grade-point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in all course work attempted, may be considered for admission on probation provided the applicant demonstrates both of the following:

  • has not enrolled at a college or university for at least one 16-week semester, and
  • can demonstrate potential for success.

Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to any occupational/technical program (i.e., health, automotive.) Admission to these programs is dependent upon program admissions requirements and/or class availability. Consult the Program Division Assistant for specific details.

There are guidelines for admission to some occupational/technical programs that are used in the selection process. In addition, technical standards have been developed for most of these programs.

Students enrolling in college for the purpose of earning credit applicable toward an educational credential (certificate, diploma, and associate degree) must demonstrate, through the submission of scores on specified assessment instruments, that they possess the minimum academic skills essential for success. Students who do not demonstrate these academic skills, based on testing, must remedy the identified skill deficiencies by taking transitional courses prior to enrolling in entry-level courses for which those skills are essential.

Students who do not intend to seek an educational credential are exempt from taking the assessment instrument; however, all students must meet individual course pre-requisites such as entry-level English and mathematics.

Effective Fall 2019, incoming students enrolled in a financial aid applicable credential program are required to complete one to three credit hours of a First Year Experience course as an enrollment requirement. The purpose of this requirement is to support student success by providing the knowledge and tools students need to navigate their pathway to college success.

For this policy, a new student is defined as any student enrolled for the first time and seeking a financial aid applicable credential at Somerset Community College. Returning students are highly encouraged to take this course.

FYE Exemptions

Students who meet the following will be exempt from the FYE admissions requirement:

  • Previous success course credit;
  • Completed or enrolled in an approved course with FYE Equivalency status;
  • Transfer with twenty-four or more hours of college-level credit hours with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, including dual credit;
  • Non-degree seeking students;
  • Current high school, dual credit, or SEEK students;
  • Students directly enrolled in a selective admissions program;
  • KYFAME participants;
  • Others on a case-by-case basis upon CAO approval.

When students enroll in a KCTCS college they select a program of study in which wish to “major” and/or receive a credential.  Student enrolled in any KCTCS college may request a program change though their student self-service account.  These students are advised to seek appropriate advisement and financial aid counseling prior to making changes.

(Readmission after Two or More Years)

A student who has been readmitted after having remained out of the KCTCS colleges for a period of two or more years, and who has successfully completed at least 12 credit hours in college-level courses with a GPA of 2.0 or better after readmission, may choose to have none of the course work attempted in the colleges prior to the interruption included in the computation of the student’s GPA. The calculation of the GPA after the student declares bankruptcy begins with the semester of readmission. A student who has elected not to count past work in the computation of his or her GPA will continue to receive credit for those courses in which credit was earned with a grade of A, B, C, D, or P prior to readmission, without including those grades in the computation of the student’s GPA. A student who has completed a credential and re-enrolls may not apply the academic bankruptcy rule to courses taken for the credential already completed. A student may only use the academic bankruptcy option once.

An applicant who has previously attended an accredited college or university which awards degrees at the associate level or higher and who has an overall grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in all course work attempted will be accepted for admission. For specific information on course placement, applicants should refer to the KCTCS Assessment and Placement Policy, which is available on the website at, under “Admissions”, then “Placement Testing & Assessment”, “Assessment and Placement Policy”. An official transcript of all previous college work must be submitted.

The Council on Postsecondary Education’s (CPE’s) general education transfer policy provides the basis for an institution’s policy on the acceptance of transfer credit. The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers’ “Transfer Credit Practices of Educational Institutions” shall serve as a reference for admission of transfer students to an institution and for the acceptance of transfer credit.

KCTCS colleges shall provide academic counseling concerning the transfer of credit to transferring students. KCTCS colleges shall accept a student’s college credit earned when a course is taken both for high school credit and for college credit. Credit earned through a dual credit or dual enrollment arrangement shall be treated the same as credit earned in any other college course.

Degree credit work is recognized credit hour for credit hour if taken on the semester system. Quarter hours are recognized as two-thirds (2/3) of a semester hour. Recognition of credit earned at a non-accredited college or university may be obtained by special subject examinations or may be validated upon the completion of 12 credit hours, excluding transitional courses, with a grade point average of at least 2.0.

An officially registered student who does not desire or feel qualified to complete the requirements for a course; and who is not concerned with receiving credit (but wishes to attend a course), may opt to register as an auditor. Lecture courses are available for audit. Clinical labs, practicums, internships, externships, and co-op courses are not available for audit.
Approval to audit is given at the discretion of the instructor. The same tuition is charged as for credit courses. Audited courses are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Tuition and Charges

Tuition and charges vary based on whether a student is a Kentucky resident or nonresident. Tuition and charges are on a per credit hour rate, including courses that are audited. For questions regarding residency status and guidelines, please see Kentucky Residency Information.

All tuition and charges are payable in full prior to beginning of classes for each session of the term unless prior arrangement has been made with the Business Office. Students receiving third party assistance must pay the difference between the third-party assistance and tuition and fees prior to the first day of classes unless prior arrangements have been made with the college business office. Please consult the Business Office for college-specific required payment dates. For provisions for partial or deferred payment instructions, please see the payment plan options in the section below.

Tuition and charges are assessed at the time of registration and based upon a per credit hour rate for all KCTCS colleges regardless of whether the courses are taken during the day, evening, and/or weekends and regardless of whether the courses are taken for credit or audit purposes. Tuition rates vary based upon Kentucky resident or non-Kentucky resident status. Fractional credit hour tuition and charges are assessed for fractional credit offerings (i.e. a student taking a 1/4th credit hour course would be assessed 1/4th rate of a student with the same residency taking a 1 credit hour course.) Tuition and charges are refundable as per the “Refunds” section below. Charges for services are non-refundable unless specifically stated as refundable. Please consult with the Business Office for specifics.

Tuition & Costs

A mandatory student fee of $8 per credit hour will be assessed at the time of enrollment. For information regarding the mandatory student fee, please visit KCTCS Build Smart.

Customized courses, including courses created specifically upon request (credit or noncredit), may have additional charges. The additional charge, depending on the requirements of developing and producing the customized course or program, will vary depending on the length and content of the course or program offerings. All tuition and charges for customized courses are payable upon registration unless prior arrangements, including third party contracts, have been made with the college. Please contact the Business Office for specifics.

Some charges for services may exist, including some individual program and/or special testing charges. General examples of these charges include, but are not limited to, the following: GED and ACT ® Testing, Returned Check Charge and Lost Library Book/Video Replacement Charge. Charges will vary by service and are nonrefundable. Please contact the Business Office for specifics.

Distance Education: There are no additional student charges associated with verification of student identity.

KCTCS colleges offer students institutionally developed special examinations to demonstrate mastery of course content and receive credit toward program requirements. Special examinations are course specific, and charges are separate from the regular tuition charges. Special exam charges are payable in full at the time the exam is scheduled. Please contact the Assessment Center for a listing of all charges.

Students who are enrolled in courses from which they elect to take a special examination in lieu of completing the course must officially withdraw from the course. The withdrawal date determines the status of the student’s assessment, refund, and grade for the enrollment period. All special examination credit is awarded using the test credit process. In such instances, a grade will not be awarded on the current term grade report. Please contact the Student Records Office for application requirements.

An Online Course Charge of $20 per credit hour will be assessed at the time of enrollment based on class instruction mode.

Students who enroll in any course requiring patient/client contact must show evidence they have professional liability insurance or purchase insurance through the college. This charge is non-refundable and is subject to change without notice. Please contact the Business office for details concerning the charge for Professional Liability Insurance.

Students may choose to participate in a KCTCS flexible tuition and fee payment plan (an option for students not planning to pay in full or not having made arrangements to pay in full) prior to the first day of class. To enroll in a payment plan, a student may login to their student self-service account or contact the Business Office for assistance. There is a $25 per term non-refundable service charge for using the payment plan. Students have the option, depending on registration date, to enroll in one of three payment plan options listed below. Total payment of the balance of tuition and charges must be made by the required date. Please contact the Business Office for specifics.

SCC Payment Plans

Students who have not paid their tuition and charges or arranged for a payment plan prior to the first (1st) day of classes of the session are subject to having their registration cancelled for non-payment.

NOTE: If students decide not to attend their classes, it is their responsibility to drop them. Students are responsible for the payment of tuition and fees for all courses not dropped during the 100% refund period of the session, regardless of whether or not the student chooses to attend the class. If you decide not to attend, please do not rely on the "registration cancellation for non-payment" process as a way to drop your classes.

The last day to enter an organized class (including Saturday and Sundays, but excluding KCTCS recognized holidays) is as follows:

Last Day to Enter an Organized Class
Session Last Day to Enter
16-Week by the close of business of the 7th calendar day of the session.
8-Week by the close of business of the 4th calendar day of the session.
6-Week by the close of business of the 2nd calendar day of the session.
5-Week by the close of business of the 2nd calendar day of the session.
4-Week by the close of business of the 1st calendar day of the session.
Irregular prorated according to the length of the session in proportion to the traditional 16-week session.

Please check the college course schedule and/or with the Registrar for specific questions concerning the last day to enter an organized class and session Add-Drop dates. Students cancelled for non-payment after the last day to enter an organized class may not be reinstated for that session. If in an acute extenuating circumstance, a student cancelled for non-payment is re-enrolled, a late payment charge per the Schedule of Allowable Charges will be assessed for that session. All tuition and charges and the late payment charge must be satisfied at the time of reinstatement.

In order to receive a tuition refund, a student must officially withdraw within the refund period specified within this policy. Refunds for sessions different from those listed below are prorated according to the session in proportion to the traditional 16-week session. A session is defined as an enrollment period within an academic term. An academic term (fall, spring, or summer) may have a number of sessions running concurrently – 16, 8, or 4 week.

KCTCS has partnered with Bank Mobile, a financial services company focused solely on higher education, to process student refund payments. Students are required to choose from one of the following three options for receiving any refunds due them: 1) ACH transfer to a bank account of their choice; 2) Refund to a Vibe Account, an FDIC insured checking account offered by Bank Mobile; or 3) Paper check mailed to the student address on file.

KCTCS colleges offer a variety of courses with different start and end dates. Please contact the Business Office for the guidelines for refunds.

SCC Refunds

Any student, who is delinquent in financial obligations to the college, or any division or organization of KCTCS, shall not be allowed to register for future terms, receive transcripts, transfer credits to another institution, or graduate. Delinquent accounts are subject to KCTCS Business Procedure 7.4 Collection of Accounts Receivable and may be referred to an outside collection agency. Please note referred accounts are subject to collection charges in addition to the amount owed the college and are the responsibility of the delinquent party. The delinquency, if referred to a collection agency, is also subject to being listed with credit reporting agencies.

Financial Aid

The colleges of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) offer a complement of student financial aid, including local scholarships that are specific to an individual college or program. There is no charge to apply for student aid. Among the U.S. Department of Education Title IV programs offered are Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Federal Work Study, and federally supported Federal Direct Loan Program. The colleges also participate in state supported aid programs. Detailed information regarding student financial aid can be found on KCTCS Financial Aid 101.

To receive student financial aid from any program in which KCTCS participates requires meeting established eligibility criteria. A listing of specific criteria can be found on KCTCS’ website. In general, you must have a demonstrated need as supported by a FAFSA and a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate.

You can apply for student aid electronically by going to Applying for student financial aid is free. You will need income tax forms for you and your spouse or you and your parents (1040, 1040 A, 1040EZ, or 1040 Telefile). If you did not file a tax return you will need documentation of all sources of income, taxed or untaxed. Students are required to report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2023–24 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) must report their 2021 income information, rather than their 2022 income information.

It is recommended that all records and materials used in completing the application be saved. A percentage of all applicants are randomly selected for verification. If selected for verification, documentation must be provided in order to receive aid. Applying early insures consideration of your information for maximum funding and applicants are encouraged to apply as soon AFTER October 1 as possible.

You may call a toll-free number for questions concerning the U.S. Department of Education Title IV programs by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 TDD for hearing impaired.

In some instances, a student may take classes at a different college or university in the same term and wish the different enrollments to count toward total enrollment. In such instances, specific eligibility requirements apply. Please consult your local student financial aid office for criteria.

KCTCS colleges participate in the Federal Direct Loan Program. You do not have to be eligible for other federal student aid to participate in this program. However, completing the FAFSA is required. All students must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling to receive a loan.

Find out more about loans!

The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) administers a number of state supported student financial aid programs. Among those offered are: College Access Program (CAP), Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES) and KHEAA Work-Ready Kentucky Scholarship. For the complete listing of aid program offerings, please see KHEAA’s website.

KCTCS, by virtue of state statute, offers a number of tuition scholarships for Kentucky residents who meet specific eligibility criteria. Included in these are scholarships for: KCTCS Faculty and Staff; Kentucky residents age 65 or older; survivors of police officers and firefighters killed in duty; dependents of disabled police officers and firefighters; teachers; foster and adopted children; veterans; and children, step-children, and/ or orphans of veterans killed or disabled in action.

A more detailed overview and eligibility requirements can be found on SCC Waivers.

KCTCS also offers a number of tuition scholarships for Kentucky residents. These include: KCTCS Presidential Scholarship; John T. Smith Scholarship; Commonwealth Scholarship; Kentucky Colonels Better Life Scholarship; Martha
C. Johnson Tuition Scholarship; Charles E. Cranmer-Liquid Transport, Inc. Scholarship; William Foster Tichenor Nursing Scholarship; and the Robert Stephen Weimann Tuition Scholarship for Non-Traditional Harlan County Residents. For details and application information, please contact your local college’s student financial aid office.

Additionally, each year, a number of individuals, organizations and companies make funding available for scholarships to various KCTCS colleges. The amount and criteria for these awards will vary. These scholarships are advertised when available, and eligible students may apply at that time. Information is available through your local college’s student financial aid office.

SCC Scholarships

Each local college offers tuition scholarships. Among these scholarships are: foundation scholarships to support enrollment management; need-based; program-specific; KCTCS Employee Spouse/Dependents; and Securing Educational Excellence in Kentucky Scholarship (SEEK).

SCC Scholarships

There are a wide number of outside agencies who offer educational assistance and other services to students. Included among them are Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs, Kentucky National Guard, Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, and Kentucky Office for the Blind. A more detailed listing and brief description of the programs they offer, and contacts for each, can be found on the KCTCS Website. Additionally, local social service agencies offer a variety of programs to assist students including: Kentucky Works (JOBS), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), and AmeriCorps.

The U.S. Government grants a tax credit for eligible persons and/or their dependent attending college filing a federal tax return. The tax credits are referred to as the HOPE Scholarship and Lifetime Learning tax credit. Please contact your personal tax advisor regarding your eligibility.

Federal regulations mandate that a student receiving Federal Student Aid under Title IV programs must maintain satisfactory academic progress in his/her course of study regardless of whether or not student aid is awarded each semester. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is measured with the following standards: Qualitative (cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0), Quantitative (Maximum Time Frame of 150 percent of the credits for completion of their program), and Quantitative Percentage (Earned hours/Attempted must equal at least 67 percent).

If a student is suspended from Student Aid because he/she is not meeting the qualitative measure and/or quantitative percentage then he/she may take additional classes without Student Aid (unless the student is academically suspended) to raise his/her quantitative measure and/or qualitative percentage to the benchmarks and, if successful, may be reinstated. If a student is on Academic Probation or Academic Suspension, he/she will automatically be on Student Aid Probation or Student Aid Suspension. If a student is reinstated from Academic Suspension by appeal or any means, he/she must appeal his/her Student Aid status separately to be considered for Student Aid reinstatement eligibility.

Students placed on student aid suspension and having unusual circumstances (illness, death in the family, accidents, etc.) and not making satisfactory academic progress have the right to appeal. However, during the appeal process persons are responsible for their own expenses, i.e., tuition, books, supplies, etc.

Students who withdraw from college before the 60 percent point in the semester, or who stop attending and therefore receive all “E”s, may be financially liable to repay the student aid received. Persons desiring to withdraw from college must do so according to their college’s withdrawal policy which can be found on the school’s website. A copy of the worksheet and examples used for this calculation can be requested from each KCTCS College’s Office of Student Aid.

Student Services

Somerset Community College is structured to provide the support students need to achieve a rewarding and successful academic/technical experience. Classes and laboratories are housed in structures on campuses designed to accommodate growth and development of college programs. A variety of classes are offered at off-campus facilities. Somerset Community College has two campus bookstores in London and Somerset where students and faculty may obtain textbooks, as well as a variety of reading and instructional materials. Other services, facilities and opportunities are described below.

Assistance with co-op, practicums, internships, employment opportunities and job placement is available at Somerset Community College. See the Program Coordinator to obtain details.

Somerset Community College is designated as a testing center for administering scholastic and limited professional examinations. Examinations include the American College Test (ACT), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), online course proctored and correspondence study programs for other colleges and universities. Other examinations given at Somerset Community College include the General Educational Development Test (GED) and a host of professional business and industry certification exams. Please contact the Assessment Center for a list of examinations or other services offered.

Somerset Community College’s Accessibility Services Office (ASO) provides assistance to students with disabilities. You must request Accessibility Services separately from admission to SCC by following the steps below:

  • Complete the Accessibility Services Accommodation Request form located on SCC’s Accessibility Services webpage.
  • Submit appropriate documentation verifying disability and its educational impact on the student.
  • Meet with the Accessibility Services Coordinator to discuss individual needs and concerns to develop a plan of accommodations.

We will work with you to determine what accommodations you may need. Determining accommodations involves a conversation between you and the Accessibility Services Coordinator. Accommodations are determined case-by-case, taking into consideration both the student’s disability documentation and intake discussion of the individual’s functional limitations. The intake discussion lets the student describe how their disability affects their learning so the appropriate accommodation plan can be designed to promote student success.

Contact Accessibility Services at the beginning of the term or as soon as you know that you will need accommodations because these services are not retroactive and some accommodations take longer to arrange than others.

Please consult the class syllabus for each course you are taking to become familiar with the attendance policy. Attendance policies vary within programs and classes.

All students who are taking at least one credit course will be issued a KCTCS e-mail address. Upon registration, the student may use the Somerset Community College or the KCTCS website for instructions on setting up the e-mail address. Student e-mail is our main form of communication. The e-mail may also be used to correspond with instructors and other college personnel.

All students are required to maintain an accepted standard of conduct, which includes courtesy, respect for the rights of others, orderly behavior and compliance with established college policy. Students who fail to do so may be subject to disciplinary action. Students may view the Student Code of Conduct.

Graduating students must complete a graduation application by the beginning of their final term. The graduation application is the first step in the degree audit for awarding the certificate, diploma, or degree. Students should meet with their advisor to complete the graduation application. The KCTCS Board of Regents must approve all candidates for graduation.

Upon written request or electronic order placed with National Student Clearinghouse, a student will be issued a transcript. The basic charge for a transcript to be mailed is $5.00. The charge for a transcript on demand is $7.00 and a faxed transcript is $10.00. In order for a transcript to be official, it must be mailed to the recipient such as a college or employer. Transcripts are issued only by written request or electronic order. Transcripts may not be issued to anyone but the student without written permission from the student.

SCC Transcripts

A student may drop from a class without a grade according to the last day to enter a class for that session.

From the end of the drop/add period through the official midterm date for that course, a student at his or her own discretion may withdraw from the course and receive a “W”. The student must initiate the withdrawal though their student self service. At the discretion of the instructor a “W” grade may be assigned after the mid-term date, and through the last class day of the semester or session. Instructor approval is required after mid-term. Please read your course syllabus for your instructor’s withdrawal policy. An instructor shall not assign a “W” grade unless the student has officially withdrawn in the manner prescribed by the college.

(It is advisable to check with Financial Aid for potential consequences of withdrawing.)

To log into Student Self-Service:

  • Click on MyPath on SCC's website.
  • Log in with username and password
  • Click on Student Self-Service tile
  • Once in Student Self-Service click on one of the following:
    • Manage Classes tile: Students may be able to drop classes if they have self-enrollment permission and it is within the time frame to drop classes without needing permission/approval. Follow these instructions: Dropping a Class in the Student Center Note: If trying to drop courses without permission, students will be redirected to the OWR form.
    • Academic Records tile: Students can initiate an Online Withdraw/drop Request (OWR) for courses they are not permitted to drop via Manage Classes. Follow these instructions: Dropping Classes using Online Withdraw/Drop Request (OWR) Note: If selecting course with permission to drop, students will be redirected to a page to select the courses to drop.

If you have questions or issues, please contact Be sure to include your student ID number.

Students may file appeals when they believe a violation of their academic rights has occurred. The scope of a grievance does not include matters a student simply does not like or disagrees with, unless the matter represents a violation of the student’s academic rights. Students have the academic right to:

  • timely receive information about course content
  • timely receive information about course grading criteria
  • hold and express a contrary opinion
  • fair and impartial academic evaluation
  • confidentiality of academic records
  • informed evaluation of student character and ability

More information about student academic rights may be found in the Student Bill of Rights, particularly #6, 7, 9, 10, 17, 18, 19 and 20.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records. Colleges in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System comply with FERPA’s confidentiality protections and adhere to procedures dealing with student education records and directory information recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

In its discretion, a college or KCTCS as appropriate may provide Directory Information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA to include:

  • student name
  • address
  • email address
  • telephone number
  • date and place of birth
  • major field of study
  • dates of attendance
  • degrees and awards received
  • the most recent previous education
  • agency or institution attended by the student
  • participation in officially recognized activities and sports

Students may withhold Directory Information by notifying designated officials at the college in writing within ten (10) calendar days from the first scheduled day of class of the fall term. All written requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the college for one (1) academic year. Requests to withhold Directory Information must be filed annually thereafter or may be updated in the student’s self-service account. A request for “non-disclosure” is commonly called a “privacy request”.

This is to serve notice to all students of the KCTCS of the rights and restrictions regarding the maintenance, inspection, and release of student records contained in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The colleges of KCTCS offer a wide variety of services to students. Each college requires the maintenance of records concerning students enrolled in that particular college. The following is a list of the types of records that may be maintained by the College and/or the System Office for students:

  • Academic records from schools previously attended
  • Scores or results on various standardized tests and interest/attitude inventories
  • Degrees awarded
  • Current academic work completed
  • Grades and other faculty evaluations
  • Applications for admissions
  • Applications and other data related to financial aid
  • Applications for employment
  • Class rosters
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Academic advisor notes
  • Attendance data
  • Biographical and identifying information (including name, social security number, sex, marital status, date of birth, residency and citizenship status, ethnic background, academic major, and military status)
  • Medical data
  • Current student status
  • Accounts relating to charges
  • Academic offenses
  • Disciplinary offenses
  • Counseling notes

The colleges are responsible for the maintenance of records in all categories.

In general, the records maintained by the college are available only to the student, to college personnel with legitimate educational interests, a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service, to other institutions where the student is seeking financial aid, and to authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the U.S., the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education, or an administrative head of an education agency, in connection with an audit or evaluation of federally supported programs, and as provided by Section 164.283 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes. However, information may be released by the institution to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or other persons. Records may be disclosed without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

Records may also be furnished in compliance with a judicial order or pursuant to a subpoena or with the consent of the student.

Students may inspect and review all records pertaining to them within forty-five (45) days of making requests for the same, except for 1) records created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting or assisting in a professional capacity in connection with the treatment of the student (except that the student may have these records reviewed by a physician or appropriate professional designated by the student), 2) financial records of the parents, 3) confidential letters and recommendations put in the files prior to January 1, 1975, and 4) confidential recommendations relating to admission, application for employment, or honors, if the student waived his or her right to review such records. Where a particular record cannot be reviewed by a student without revealing confidential information relating to other students, the records custodian will inform the student, upon request, of the contents of the record pertaining to that student.

A student who believes that any record maintained by the college, the college district, or the KCTCS pertaining directly to that student is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise violates the right of privacy of the student as provided by Title IV of Pub.L.90-247, as amended, and Pub.L.93-380 as amended by Senate Joint Resolution 40 (1974), may request a hearing before a panel of three persons appointed by the President of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. The panel may direct that appropriate action be taken to correct, explain, or expunge the record(s) challenged.

Requests for hearings should be sent to the Records Custodian, Kentucky Community and Technical College System, 300 N Main St, Versailles, KY, 40383 and will be addressed in a timely manner.

The Learning Commons provides a variety of academic support services, free to all students! Academic support services include: library resources and services, academic and success coaching, tutoring, study spaces, a computer lab, laptop loan program, and more! Learning Commons resources and services are available at all SCC locations and online/virtual; staff is available to assist via chat, text, telephone, Teams, or email. Our contact information is located on the SCC Learning Commons.

Library Services maintains collections of both electronic and print information resources, including 24/7 access to a curated selection of online databases and electronic books. Titles in a variety of media are added to the collection yearly. Librarians are available to assist students with research for courses, help locate materials on subjects of interest, and to assist in using technology and software in the Learning Commons. Please check the SCC Learning Commons regarding library research consultations or schedule an appointment with a staff member.
Tutoring services are available both in person and virtual with trained peer and professional tutors, and also online through our 24/7 service, Brainfuse. All tutoring services are free to students, provided regardless of SCC location, and are available for most SCC courses. Besides 1-on-1 tutoring for course specific subjects, tutors provide general workshops and study group sessions, serve as embedded tutors in select courses, and can assist in reviewing career and professional writing (resumes, letters, etc.), or to help prepare for entrance tests.   
Please check Learning Commons Tutoring regarding tutoring assistance, tutoring schedules, or schedule an appointment for tutoring.
The College Navigator program is available free to any SCC student!  College Navigators are certified academic coaches that assist students in: understanding college, gaining skills to succeed at SCC, getting referrals to appropriate College and community resources, and receive guidance, support and encouragement along your educational path. Students in the program receive one-on-one success coaching, access to peer mentoring, and benefit from special events and workshops. If you feel alone or lost, have questions, or think you could benefit from extra support, contact the College Navigators today!
The Laptop Loan program provides a limited number of free laptops for students to borrow to complete SCC coursework. The computers are available on a semester by semester basis, and are first-come, first served. For more information, including requirements and exclusions, and to apply, visit Laptop Loan Program.

SCC students and faculty/staff may use the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service to borrow books or audio-visual materials not currently in the SCC Learning Commons collection.

Interlibrary Loan Request Form

Check out our Learning Guides to learn more about Learning Commons services and activities.

Computers are available for all Learning Commons users. Microsoft Office 365 is the current application.

Students are provided with a Computer Printing Account at the beginning of each semester. Students may add money to their accounts at any time for additional printing. This account only applies to printing on campus. Please see Financial Services.

A book drop is located on the Somerset Campus for after-hours returns.

Internet access is available on each Learning Commons computer. All Learning Commons users must comply with the SCC Learning Commons Computer Lab Policy as well as the KCTCS Internet/E-mail Policies.

Somerset Community College provides computer labs at all locations for student utilization.

Wi-Fi access is available at each campus. Access has been extended to exterior areas at each campus and center for after-hours use.

KCTCS usernames and passwords are required to log on to any Learning Commons computer and for off-campus access to library databases.

SCC provides Student ID card services. A photo ID and current class schedule are required.

  • Active Minds
  • BAT Club
  • Cosmetology Club
  • Culinary Arts Club
  • Delta Alpha Pi
  • eSports Club/Team
  • Fabric Arts Collections
  • Fruit of the Lens Photography Club
  • Gamer’s Club
  • Gay-Straight Alliance
  • HEARTS Club
  • Lambda Nu (National Honor Society for the Radiologic and Imaging Sciences), Kappa Gamma Chapter
  • Math &Science Club
  • Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society
  • Multicultural Club
  • Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
  • Physical Therapy Student Organization
  • Psychology Club
  • Radiography Student Organization
  • SCC Student Campus Ministries
  • Skills USA
  • Student Government Association
  • The Bridge
  • Veteran’s Service Organization

Activities & Organizations

Students who have reached the age of 18 and have not registered to vote may do so.

Register to Vote

Title IX Sexual Harassment and Misconduct Procedure

General Information

To ensure safety to all persons, the speed limit on campus is 25 MPH.

SCC has an open parking policy. Several parking spaces near the buildings are designated for handicap students. These spaces are secured on an individual basis.

You must seek permission from the Office of Student Affairs before posting material on the college bulletin boards.

A bookstore is located on the Somerset and Laurel Campuses. Most textbooks, workbooks, class and shop supplies can be purchased in the bookstore or online. Instructors will assist students in locating required items not available through the college. Students are responsible for purchasing books and supplies required.

Students should refrain from the use of cell phones and texting during class time. Students are asked to turn off ringers while in class.

Minors must be supervised at all times when on the campuses or centers of Somerset Community College. Minors of students are not permitted in classrooms unless prior approval is given by instructor.

No food or drink will be allowed in classrooms or in instructional/computer labs. Vending machines are located throughout the buildings. Students must clean up after themselves during meals and breaks.

Tobacco use, including chewing (oral), smoking, and electronic cigarettes are NOT permitted on the properties of Somerset Community College campuses and centers, including buildings, sidewalks and parking lots.

In order to maintain a clean and safe working area, the last part of each lab class generally will be used for cleaning the lab/classroom and/or shop with student participation.

All students are encouraged to wear a face mask in SCC building when they know they have or may have been exposed or have symptoms related to an infectious disease to help prevent the spread of any infectious virus. All students are encouraged to maintain a social distancing of 3-6’ to the best of their ability if they have been exposed or think they have an infectious disease. All students are encouraged to wash their hands frequently while on campus.

Any student that shows any of the symptoms of an infectious disease such as the flu or COVID 19 are encouraged to stay home until their symptoms are gone. Students should notify and work with their instructors virtually if they need to stay home due to having an infectious disease.

Any student that has been in direct contact with an individual diagnosed with an infectious disease or have tested positive for an infectious disease such as the flu or COVID 19 can notify the SCC Health at Work Officer and Chief Student Affairs Officer for guidance before returning to campus.

The 2023 college Safety Manual is currently available by request.

Go to Security and Parking to see more information about safety and security initiatives on our campuses.

Students must dress in accordance with specific safety regulations established by the program instructor(s).

Students are required to study general safety rules pertinent to the college and technical program in which they are enrolled. Students who violate or fail to abide by any program safety rules are subject to disciplinary action. College and/or program specific information will be furnished by each technical class.

The shops and laboratories are equipped with first aid supplies for minor cuts and bruises. In the case of a more serious condition, the instructor or campus coordinator will determine the course of action to take.

Emergency procedures are located in the safety manual and posted in common areas of each building.

SNAP is our Safety Notification Alert Process that alerts you to college emergencies and weather-related closures by text message on your cell phone. For more information visit

Periodic fire drills are required by state law. You should follow the clearly marked exit signs directing you to the nearest exit. Please observe the following points during a fire drill:

  • Lights out
  • Windows closed
  • Walk rapidly, single file, go to the designated area outside the building
  • Take all personal items
  • Do not wait for others to join you
  • Do not re-enter until the all-clear sound
  • Stay with your group

Inside Building

  • Students within the building at the beginning of an earthquake should remain where they are.
  • Students in a classroom or shop area should sit or crouch below level of desks or tables in case large pieces of structural material should fall. If tables or desks are not near, inner walls and doorways will provide the safest places. Stay clear of windows.
  • Students in hallways should drop to their knees close to the walls. Bury face in arms. Protect the neck with hands clasped behind the head.

Outside Building

  • Students outside the building at the beginning of an earthquake should get a safe distance from the building and away from power lines.
  • Students should remain where they are immediately after an earthquake until given further instructions by authorized personnel.
  • Under no circumstances should anyone approach or re-enter the buildings until instructed to do so by authorized personnel.

When Tornado “Warning” Alarm sounds:

  1. All students go to the interior hallways of building.
  2. Stay away from window areas.
  3. Assume protective positions facing close to interior walls.
  4. When danger is imminent, listen for specific commands by designated personnel.
    1. The command: “Everyone down! Crouch on elbows and knees! Hands over back of head!”
    2. Stay in protective position until “all clear” signal is given.
    3. After “all clear” signal, return to classroom.

When weather is such that it could be unsafe for students to attend college, the institution may need to delay or cancel classes. This information will be announced first on our website –, on our Facebook page – or Instagram –, and a SNAP Emergency Notification System message will be sent to your preferred phone numbers and/or email addresses entered into Student Self-Service. To make sure you are receiving a SNAP text message or voice message at your current phone number or email address, please visit

Secondarily, the following television stations will be notified when all locations of SCC are delayed or canceled. If only one campus or center is closed, television stations will not be notified.


  • Channel 18 (WLEX) NBC
  • Channel 36 (WTVQ) ABC
  • Channel 27 (WKYT) CBS
  • Channel 56 (WDKY) FOX 
  • Channel 3 (WAVE) NBC
  • Channel 32 (WLKY) CBS
  • Channel 41 (WDRB) FOX
  • Channel 11 (WHAS) ABC 
  • Chanel 13 (WBKO) ABC
  • Channel 10 (WBIR) NBC
  • Channel 6 (WATE) ABC
  • Channel 57 (WYMT) CBS
  • Channel 5 (WTVF) CBS
  • Channel 6 (WATE)

Somerset Community College supports the intent of the Student Right to Know/Campus Security Act and is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all students and employees. Several approaches are utilized for crime prevention, such as:

  • Burglar alarms
  • Key control systems
  • Light sensors
  • Local police patrol
  • Motion detection system
  • Vacant building/room checks

Additionally, security cameras are installed in college owned, student and staff occupied buildings and grounds. Crime prevention efforts also include the dissemination of information on our website.

Conduct that violates the intent of this act and poses an unacceptable risk to members of the college community shall result in appropriate disciplinary action.

Tobacco use, including chewing (oral), smoking, and electronic cigarettes are NOT permitted on the properties of Somerset Community College campuses and centers, including buildings, sidewalks and parking lots.

KCTCS Tobacco Free Policy

Somerset Community College abides by the KCTCS drug-free policy.

Drug-Free Policy Notification

Somerset Community College abides by the KCTCS policies on Substance Abuse and Alcohol. The policies can be found at the following links: