Military & Veterans | SCC

Military & Veterans


We welcome military service members, veterans and their families. Here’s how to apply to SCC and start building a better future.

Earn a degree, diploma or certificate on campus or online, or prepare for a job in one of our Go to Work programs. We offer flexibility and support services to help you reach your goals while serving your country or after you’ve retired from active duty.

How to Apply

The application process is quick and simple, and we’re here to help. Just follow these easy steps:

  1. Submit your application for admission. Which application you use depends on your benefits:

  2. File for your GI Bill® Benefits 

  3. Send us transcripts from high school and any colleges you’ve attended.

  4. Submit your ACT or SAT scores or the results of placement testing.

  5. Explore financial aid. Federal financial aid is available for members of all branches of the military. We also offers scholarships, grants and loans to make a great education even more affordable.

  6. Active Duty, Drilling Reservist, or National Guard

    • If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA). Visit the Military and Veteran Student Services website for further information. Many of these programs are time-sensitive so the earlier you get things done, the smoother your benefits will go. Keep in mind that schools and other programs have their own deadlines as well.

  7. Schedule an appointment with Advising 

    • Once you are admitted to the school, you will receive a letter of acceptance with all the information necessary to set up your orientation and advising session to schedule your classes for the semester and/or take the placement test. Visit the Advising web page for more information about scheduling.

  8. Contact the VA certifying official to certify your classes so you can receive your GI Bill® benefits

    • The VA will send you your Certificate of Eligibility after you are approved to use your GI Bill®. As soon as you receive this, you can mail, fax, or hand-deliver a copy of this document to the Somerset Community College VA Certifying Official.

    • Your classes will only be certified if they directly apply to your degree program.

    • Your benefits will vary depending on the amount of hours you take. 12 credit hours are needed to receive full benefits during a normal 16-week semester. If you are unsure about the hours needed, contact the Military & Veteran Student Services Center.

    • Tuition and fees not covered by the student’s military or veteran educatonal benefits are the responsibility of the student, and must be paid by the published payment deadlines.

Federal and State Tuition Assistance

Each federal tuition assistance (TA) program requires different eligibility requirements and steps. Please reference the appropriate links for your branch of service. Provided below is a brief overview of what you may encounter when applying for your TA. Per Department of Defense (DOD) all TA is capped at $250 per semester hour, $166.67 per quarter hour, and $16.67 per clock hour. For cost of attendance, financial aid and admissions timeline, tuition and fees, and books, please refer to the Resource links below.

The DOD issued a policy that Tuition Assistance will not be authorized for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program (chapter 1606 of title 10, United States Code), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (chapter 1607 of title 10, United States Code), or any other GI Bill® program other than the Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty program (chapter 30 of title 38, United States Code) or the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program (chapter 33 of title 38, United States Code).

Note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)’ should be placed on the document or webpage in a prominent location. 


  1. Submit TA request through GoArmyEd
  2. Complete the "Welcome to VIA" video
  3. Receive approval through an Army Education Services Officer
  4. Submit the TA Statement of Understanding
  5. Submit authorization to Nancy Meggs at 
  1. Contact your Education Service Officer (ESO) on which TA application to use from the CG Portal.
  2. Receive approval from your ESO and submit all supporting school documentation if requested.
  3. CG Institute or CG ETQC will process your application and send you your authorization.
  4. Submit authorization to Nancy Meggs at 

Please refer to the United States Coast Guard for further information regarding the proper steps and eligibility to use your TA.

  1. Submit the following and send to your Education Office
    1. Statement of Understanding
    2. Higher Education Prep (HEP) course for new TA applicants
    3. Financial Mgmt MCI-3420F for new TA applicants
    4. Active Reserve Marines submit a copy of activation or mobilization order
  2. Request updated codes from your Education Office to use WebTA and apply
  3. Receive Command Approval for use of TA
  4. Submit authorization to Nancy Meggs at 

Please refer to Marine Corps Community Services for further information regarding the proper steps and eligibility to use your TA.

  • Tuition Assistance is available by inquiring at your unit to obtain the necessary application materials.
  • Deadlines are April 1st for Summer and Fall semesters and October 1st for spring semester.
  • The National Guard Center will load this information for ALL institutions in the state and will then be distributed to the SCC Business Office and applied to your student account.
  • Changes in location of educational training cannot be made at the Office of Military and Veterans Student Services; the Guards MUST contact Boone National Guard Center at (502 607-1307. The National Guard Center will load this and distribute this information for ALL institutions in the state to be updated.
  • Students who receive National Guard Tuition Assistance may also receive VA benefits, however your national guard tuition assistance is subtracted before processing for those receiving Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® tuition payments.

GI Bill® and KY Tuition Waiver

  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependent or Spouse of a Veteran)
  • 1606 (National Guard Reserve)
  • 1607 (R.E.A.P)

Apply for Chapter 30, 33, 35, 1606, or 1607

Students applying for Chapter 33, Post 9/11 benefits should first complete the application online through

Students applying for Chapter 30, 35, 1606, 1607 may require additional documents to submit to the VA Certifying Official.

Students receiving Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab assistance need to provide the SCC Certifying Official with a copy of their VA Form 1905, or have your case worker provide this before your enrollment can be certified.

Please note: only students receiving Chapters 31 (Voc Rehab) and 33 (Post 9/11) VA Educational Benefits will have their tuition payments submitted directly to SCC. All other students are responsible for making payment arrangements with the business office for payment of their tuition and fees.

  • Students are responsible for notifying the SCC VA Certifying Official of any changes in their Schedule (add/drop) during every semester.
  • Students changing their school to SCC (who have received VA benefits at another school in the past) or students changing their program/major.
    • To complete the VA form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, online at the VA website.
  • Students must print and mail the application to the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs to the address listed below.
  • Click here to complete the Tuition Waiver Application.
  • Students must submit the KTW Certificate to the SCC VA Certifying Official to have their tuition waived once approved.
  • Students must complete and submit a Waiver Request Form to the SCC Records Department each term that they wish to utilize their Kentucky Tuition Waiver.

Attn: Tuition Waiver Coordinator
321 West Main Street
Suite 390
Louisville, KY 40202
phone: (502) 569-1040
fax: (502) 595-4447

Concurrent Admission

If you’re planning to enlist in the Army, you may be eligible for the Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP), a program designed to help you apply to college and access your benefits. Be sure to select KCTCS as your home college when you enlist.

Questions? Contact us. We’re here for you, every step of the way.