Get the information you need about the assessments we offer below!
Important to know:
- to register and view available test dates log on to www.actstudent.org.
- ACT National results can be used at any college that accepts the ACT.
- Tests are given on Saturdays at the Somerset North Campus beginning promptly at 8:00 a.m. EST. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early in order to locate the building and room number. Applicants are assigned to building and room by first letter of last name. Room assignments will be posted on test day at Cooper, Blakely, and the Commons Building. PHOTO ID and ADMISSION TICKET ARE REQUIRED.
- the test approximately ends around 12:00 p.m. EST for those not taking the writing (Essay) section and around 12:30 p.m. EST for those taking the writing section.
Somerset Campus North
Strunk Building - Room 100E
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
- Cost is $60.00 (Picture ID is required – payment by credit card, cash, or check on day of test - No Refunds will be given)
- To schedule contact the SCC-Somerset Assessment Center 606-451-6850 or the SCC- London Assessment Center 606-878-4728
- All ACT Residual sessions are scheduled by appointment only. Contact the SCC-Assessment Center for more information and to schedule.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled testing time. Late arrivals will not be allowed to test.
- The ACT Residual may only be taken every 60 days.
You must be enrolled at Somerset Community College.
- Results can only be used at Somerset Community College.
Test will be administered in the Assessment Center Room 101 located on the Somerset North Campus in the Strunk Building or in Laurel Assessment Center on Laurel Campus, North Building 2, Room 240.
For registration or more information on the CLEP exam please go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/
After registering online, contact the Somerset Assessment Center (606) 451-6850 or the London Assessment Center (606) 878-4728 to schedule an exam time.
An administrative fee of $25.00 will be due on the day of testing.
KCTCS GUIDELINES FOR CLEP SUBJECT EXAMINATIONS
|Examination||Scale Score for Credit||Equivalent Course||Credit Hours|
|College Level French Language||50-69||FR 201||3|
|70 or above||FR 201, 202||6|
|College Level German Language||50-69||GER 201||3|
|70 or above||GER 201, 202||6|
|College Level Spanish Language||50-69||SPI 201||3|
|70 or above||SPI 201, 202||6|
|American Government||50||POL 101||3|
|History of the United States I||50||HIS 108||3|
|History of the United States II||50||HIS 109||3|
|Introductory Psychology||50||PSY 110||3|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||ECO 202||3|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||ECO 201||3|
|Introductory Sociology||50||SOC 101||3|
|Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648||50||HIS 104||3|
|Western Civilization II: 1648 to present||50||HIS 105||3|
|Social Sciences and History||50||SOC 101||3|
|Human Growth and Developmental||50||AHS 100||2|
|Calculus||50||MAT 174 or MAT175||4, 5|
|College Mathematics||50||MAT 146||3|
|College Algebra||50||MAT 150||3|
|60-64||BIO 112, 120||6|
|65-80||BIO 150, 152||6|
|General Chemistry||50 or above||CHE 170, 180||6|
|Natural Science||50||BIO 112||3|
|Principles of Accounting||50||ACC 201, 202||6|
|Principles of Management||50||BAS 293||3|
|Principles of Marketing||50||BAS 282||3|
|Introduction to Business Law||50||BAS 267||3|
|Information Systems and Computer Application||50||TRN 146||3|
|American Literature||50||ENG 251||3|
|Analyzing and Interpreting Literature||50||ENG 161||3|
|English Literature||50||ENG 161||3|
|College Composition, College Composition Modular||50||ENG 101||3|
KCTCS defines digital literacy as the ability to ethically and responsibly use technology to skillfully locate, evaluate, use, create, and communicate information to improve the quality of life and employability of students.
Before completing an AA, AS, AFA, AAS or any diploma with KCTCS, students must demonstrate digital literacy by one of the following means:
- Passing the IC3 Global Standard Fast Track exam (using the most current Global Standard available), or
- Achieving the IC3 Certification, or
- Articulating credit from another institution which has demonstrated compliance with the above course criteria as identified by the registrar of the receiving college in cooperation with the digital literacy faculty of the receiving college, or
- Receiving credit for an approved KCTCS digital literacy course, or
- Completing a KCTCS program that has been given Digital Literacy status for the program, or
- Providing documentation of successful completion of other certification exams as approved by KCTCS.
Documentation of digital literacy will be recorded as course credit, program completion, transfer course or external exam credit.
To schedule a time to take the exam call the Somerset Assessment Center: 606-451-6850 (or) the Laurel Assessment Center at 606-878-4728 or email: email@example.com for Somerset or firstname.lastname@example.org for Laurel. Vouchers will be purchased on the scheduled test date in the assessment center. Cost is approximately $20-$25.
The NLN PAX (Pre-admission) exam is now only offered remotely through NLN.
Please click on the following link for step by step directions on how to register for the PAX exam:
Use this link to create your NLN account:
Students wanting to take the NLN PAX Pre Admission exam will need to purchase the following exam:
H-PAX_1 for $55
Be sure to choose the H-PAX_1 Proctorio exam (named "Pre-Admission Exam for Hyflex"), NOT the Practice PAX exam or the Examity PAX exams.
Once finished taking the PAX exam please contact one of the testing center staff below to post your scores, include your name, test date and KCTCS Student ID number:
If you have any questions about your NLN account/exam please contact:
The Somerset Community College assessment center provides test proctoring services.
PROCTORED EXAM INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN ONLINE COURSES
All proctored exams must be scheduled either by calling or emailing the assessment center. A photo ID is required for testing and you must know your instructor’s name. Children are not permitted in the testing center.
You will need to inform your Instructor/College that you want to take the exam at Somerset Community College. If you are a KCTCS student, your instructor will need to post the Proctor information on the KCTCS Proctor Database, a secure proctor site for KCTCS. For all other students, an email will need to be sent to Matthew Rodriguez (email@example.com) or April Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For non-KCTCS courses, we have a Proctored Exam fee of $25. Exams that are not online need to be emailed to either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Somerset Community College, Assessment Center, 808 Monticello Street, Somerset, KY 42501. Proctor information for online exams can be emailed to either April Russell or Matt Rodriguez.
Directions to the SCC Assessment Center in Somerset and Phone number: (606-451-6850)
Turn East from HWY 27 at Stop Light #16. Continue straight through the four way stop. This is Monticello Street and SCC Drive. Continue straight on SCC Drive. Please park in the last parking lot on the left (Meece Strunk Lot). The Assessment Center is located in the Harold D. Strunk Learning Resources Building (The Learning Commons); this is the first building on the right side of the campus.
Directions to the SCC Assessment Center in London and Phone number: (606) 878-4728
Traveling I-75, take Exit 38, turn on HWY 192 East, travel approximately 2 miles, turn left at light #9A, arrive at Somerset Community College, Laurel North Campus. Assessment Center is located in second building on left (Building 2, Room 240).
From Somerset, travel East 80 to London, crossing I-75 overpass. Highway East 80 turns into Hal Rogers Parkway. Travel approximately (3) miles, turn right onto HWY 192 West. Turn right at Light #9A, arrive at Somerset Community College, Laurel North Campus. Assessment Center is located in second building on left (Building 2, Room 240).
Guidelines for Testing
- A picture ID is required for identification before taking a test.
- It important that you know your course number, exam name/number, and instructor's name.
- No children are permitted in the testing room.
- All cell phones, pagers, and alarms must be turned off in the testing room.
KCTCS is an equal opportunity employer and education institution.
Proctored Exam Tips
- If you are not near Somerset or London, you can schedule an exam at a different KCTCS college.
- Upon arriving at the proctor site, present a picture ID (such as a student ID or current driver's license) for identification; otherwise, you will not be permitted to take the exam.
- It is the student's responsibility to bring all materials necessary to complete the exam, provided they meet with the instructor's guidelines.
- There are no costs associated with proctored exams for SCC/KCTCS courses; there is a fee associated with proctoring exams for other colleges and universities.
Students who believe they have acquired a competency level or knowledge from previous education and work experience for a particular course may take a STEP exam. Not all classes offer STEP tests. Check with your Program Coordinator or Advisor to find out about available STEP exams.
PSI True Talent (Formally PAN)
Department of Insurance