Additional Information for International Students | SCC

Additional Information for International Students

SCC is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Many of the courses offered at SCC are in the same first and second level courses offered at most universities in the state and nation. SCC is a comprehensive community college where students can earn the two year Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and the credits transfer to four year universities. Also offered are many vocational and technical training programs.


For more information regarding International Student Services, please contact Admissions at

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

Parker Tucker
Primary Designated School Official
Office of International and Immigrant Student Services 

* SEVIS I-901 Fee:

Those seeking to enter the United States in F-1 status with a Form I-20 must pay a SEVIS fee before going to the US Embassy. The fee must be paid at least 3 business days before the scheduled visa interview. For information, visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website at


Expense  Cost
Tuition (2 semesters)  $15,000
Living expenses (Estimated)   $8,000
Books, Medical Insurance (required)  $2,000
Total  $25,000

*Note:  The school must have official verification that the prospective student has the funds to cover expenses for one year in order to issue the Form I-20 needed for the visa.

F-1 students and their dependents are required to provide proof of health insurance coverage for each semester. Proof of international student health insurance is mandatory. Students who fail to provide evidence of insurance for the entire semester will be blocked from college transactions.

*Note: Minimum Health insurance requirements include:

• The policy must be written by the carrier, in English, and premium rates must be in U.S. dollar amounts. 
• The policy must include in-patient and out-patient coverage for both sickness and accident. 
• The policy must have a deductible of no more than $500 per individual, per accident or illness. 
• The policy must state a maximum benefit of no less than $100,000 per accident or illness. 
• The policy must provide no less than $10,000 provision for medical evacuation to a student’s home country. 
• The policy must provide no less than $7,500 provision for repatriation (after death, removal of remains to student’s home country). 
• The policy must clearly state coverage dates from the first day of classes for the semester applying through the end of the academic year (or earlier departure from the College).

If you already have insurance that is payable in the United States and covers repatriation, bring a copy of the policy and proof of payment in English. If the policy meets the minimum requirements, you will be able to use that insurance and will not be required to purchase the international student insurance. 
Students who bring a spouse or other dependents will be required to purchase insurance for them.

For information on International Student insurance plans please click here.

Those seeking to enter the United States in F-1 status with a Form I-20 or those seeking a change of status to F-1 within the U.S. must pay a SEVIS fee before going to the US Embassy or submitting documents to the Vermont Service Center. The fee must be paid at least 3 business days before the scheduled visa interview.

The SEVIS fee can be paid to the Department of Homeland Security by mail or online and must be accompanied by a Form I-901. It can be paid by you or by a third party, inside or outside the US. 

The rules covering the filing Form I-901 and much additional information are found at Please read the information carefully and understand the instructions. It is suggested that on the same website you click on the I-901 Fee Frequently Asked Questions to learn more. Please be sure to pay the SEVIS fee as soon as you receive your I-20 Form.

Every non-immigrant visa-holding applicant whose native language is other than English must present official evidence of writing and reading competency in the English language by means of one of the following:  

• A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) report with a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based test or 61 on the internet-based test. 
• A Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) report with a minimum score of 73. 
• A transcript from an accredited American college or university or from a foreign college or university in which the English language is the primary language of instruction showing a minimum grade of "B" in college English 101 and English 102 or the equivalent. 

Evidence of English competency by means of an assessment instrument must have been obtained within the previous eighteen (18) months prior to the first day of classes of the semester for which the applicant is applying. Non-immigrant visa-holding applicants must also submit the results of the ACT or other assessment instrument in accordance with the KCTCS assessment and placement policy.

For information concerning the TOEFL, contact them directly at Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6155, Princeton, NJ 08541-6155, USA, or by phone at (609) 771-7100, or at their website, .


A student who is maintaining valid F-1 status may transfer from one school to another by following the transfer procedures set forth in the regulations. All SCC students who intend to pursue their bachelor degree will need to officially transfer to a four year school after completion of their course of study at SCC. SEVIS procedures must be followed.

*Note: Basic Conditions of Eligibility for F-1 Transfer:

  • The student must be maintaining status at the current school.
  • The course of study at the new school must begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at the old school or transfer out date.
  • The student must be eligible for an I-20 at the new school.
  • The student must complete the Transfer Clearance Form and return to the International and Immigrant Student Services Department.
It is strongly advised that you visit the U.S. Department of State Overseas Advising Center in your country before applying for the visa. The Department of State provides support to a worldwide network of nearly 500 EducationUSA educational advising/information centers. These centers advise prospective international students and other audiences on higher education and study opportunities in the United States. These advisors can help prepare the prospective student for the important student visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. To contact your closest advising center, please go to:  

As an F-1 student, am I allowed to work?

After completion of the first semester of classes at SCC, students may check with the PDSO, Natalie Winstead, to see if they qualify to work on campus. The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services will allow international students to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During vacations, students can work up to 37.5 hours per week. There are limited jobs available at SCC and international students cannot expect to be guaranteed a campus job.

Does SCC offer financial assistance for international students?

SCC does not offer financial assistance for international students. Although international students are not eligible for Federal financial aid, they may apply to scholarship opportunities.”

How can I attend Somerset Community College?

You must complete an Admissions Application first. You will also need to:

  • Be accepted
  • Provide financial support documents
  • Be issued an I-20 form
  • Apply for the F-1 student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country
  • Submit official, translated and evaluated transcripts

How do I select my classes?

Schedule an appointment with the primary designated school official. Once all necessary paper work is completed, you will meet with an academic advisor.

What is a community college?

Community colleges offer fully accredited academic programs that prepare the student for access to upper division education at public and private universities. Community colleges also offer two year certificate programs that lead to employment.

What is the advantage for International students to attend a community college?

• Easy, open admission policies.
• Wide selection of academic programs.
• Supportive learning environment with small classes.
• Low cost tuition.
• Credits fully transferable to other colleges and universities.

What is the I-20 Form?

It is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form issued by the school. It states that a prospective International student has met the requirements for admission and has been accepted for a full course of study. The I-20 also indicates proof that the student meets the financial requirements. It does not guarantee a student will receive a visa or gain entrance to the U.S. However, it is needed to apply. If the visa is granted the I-20 is also needed to enter the U.S. at the port of entry.