About the Program
Federal Work-Study (FWS) gives students the opportunity to earn money by working part-time
during the school year and possibly the summer if funding remains. Work-study is
a form of financial aid for students who meet certain eligibility requirements. Being
awarded work study can make a student eligible for jobs on and off campus. FWS is
a responsibility to be taken seriously; students are assisting the college or off-campus
employers in their daily operations. FWS is an excellent way to earn money while
gaining valuable work experience.
Students can work up to twenty (20) hours per week (based on their student budget and unmet need). Most students’ awards allow for 10-20 hours per week. Students earn $7.50 per hour and are paid on the 15th and 30th of each month by direct deposit.
Benefits of the Program
- Enhance your employment skills
- Explore possible career opportunities
- Meet a new set of contacts who can become valuable references for future employment
- Studies have shown that students participating in FWS Programs improve their time management skills, are more actively involved in campus activities, and generally perform better in their studies.
Types of Jobs
- On-campus: Working in student service offices, labs, building maintenance and various other campus departments.
- Off-campus: Working in local elementary schools (tutoring in reading and math), as well as various community service positions.
To be eligible for the Federal Work-study Program students must…
- Be enrolled in at least 6 hours a semester
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Declare a major (undecided majors are not eligible)
- Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Maximum Time Frame (MTF) requirements each semester
- Have a completed FAFSA on file
- Have enough unmet need remaining in your budget for the current year (it may be necessary to decline loans).
Kentucky State Law requires state and national pre-employment background checks as
a condition of employment.
If you’re interested in employment with the Federal Work Study Program please fill out an application. Once your application is received you’ll be notified of your eligibility by your KCTCS email within five business days.