Steps to Borrow a Student Loan
To borrow a student loan, you must:
- File your FAFSA;
- Meet all of SCC’s Admission and Financial Aid requirements;
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and;
- Enroll (and remain enrolled) in 6 credit hours or more for the term for which you are borrowing the student loan.
Steps to Process a Student Loan:
- Complete the Online Loan Entrance Counseling at https://studentloans.gov if you have not done so previously for our school.
- E-sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at https://studentloans.gov using the same PIN you used to sign your FAFSA, if you have not done so previously for our school.
- Loans are not automatically included in your financial aid package. A link to request a student loan is available through your Self-Service under the Financial Aid Tile, called “FA Loan Request”.
Click on the hyperlink Loan Request.
Note: You may cancel your request at any time before submitting the final step.
Verify student information:
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
*If changes need to be made, click the “change” hyperlink under the field you need to update
- Check box to confirm information is correct and click “Continue”
- Read Loan Request Acknowledgment Statements
- Check box to confirm, and click "Continue"
- Confirm that you are or are not interested in a student loan by clicking Yes or No and “Submit.”
- Enter the amount of student loan you would like to request for the academic year in the Requesting Loan Amount box.
- Click Submit
*View more information about borrowing Federals Loans. This webpage will help borrowers understand the federal student loan process and help make informed decisions about student loans.
*The Terms and Conditions and the Rights and Responsibilities of Federal Student Loans are listed on the Master Promissory Note (MPN), which is signed by the borrower who is accepting the loan. If you would like to review this information before borrowing a loan, view a sample MPN for Federal Stafford or Federal PLUS loans. This MPN also provides a sample loan repayment schedule and the necessity for repaying any loans you borrow. (Please note: If you want to borrow a student loan, and need to sign your MPN, please go to studentloans.gov)
Loan Exit Counseling
Once you have graduated, dropped below half-time status, OR have stopped attending school, all loan borrowers are REQUIRED to complete Loan Exit Counseling at www.studentloans.gov. Please note: even if you do not complete the Exit Counseling, you are still responsible for re-paying the loan, as detailed in the Master Promissory Note.