Data Request Procedure
Division: Institutional Effectiveness
SCC Policy Number: SP18.104.22.168-2
Approved SCC President/CEO: 5/22/2020
Reference KCTCS Policy: Administrative Policy 22.214.171.124
Complete the online Data Request Form by submitting a HelpDesk Ticket—the link can be found on the College’s webpage under “Institutional Effectiveness and Research”—and follow the process outlined below.
Policy regarding data requests will be prioritized based on need and importance using an online form and reporting only aggregate data unless approved otherwise. The purpose of a standardized data request procedure is to track and analyze the number of requests being generated and to equitably disperse requests across the department.
- Priorities. In determining request priorities and deadlines, the Office of Institutional Research needs to consider the time and effort required to prepare a request against the usefulness the data will have in support of the College’s mission and vision. Federal, state, and accrediting agencies will take top priority, followed by College administrators, and then all others.
- How to Request Data. The Office of Institutional Research will use an online Data Request Form to assist
in making data requests. All requests will need to be submitted through an online
HelpDesk Ticket system. The link can be found on the College’s webpage under “Institutional
Effectiveness and Research.” All requests must include the purpose of the request
and how the data will be used.
- Approved Requests – Requests will be approved if it has been demonstrated that there is an educational need for the data and the results will be used to support the College’s mission and vision. Once approved, requests will be assigned to an Institutional Research staff member who will compile the request or contact the requestor if additional information is needed.
- Denied Requests – Requests may be denied if the use of the results will not support the College’s mission and vision or if the data will be used for other reasons outside of the parameters of the Data Request Policy.
- Limitations. Unless the data is publicly available, the results of any request should not be made public without prior consent from the Office of Institutional Research. Unless there is a clear need to have personally identifying information, Institutional Research will only report requests in the aggregate. Data requests for personal or classroom research will need to be requested through KCTCS Office of Research and Policy Analysis and may be subject to Human Subject Research Board Guidelines (HSRB) found in KCTCS Policy 126.96.36.199.2.