FYE Equivalency Course Procedure
SCC Policy Number: SPR4.25
Approved SCC President/CEO: 12/18/2021
Reference KCTCS Policy:
- A faculty member who wishes for a course to be granted FYE Equivalency status must submit the FYE Equivalency Request Form. The course must meet the competencies of FYE 100, and the form must show exactly how the course will provide content to meet those competencies.
- All faculty who teach FYE Equivalency courses will take the annual FYE Instructor training.
- At the end of the semester, the faculty member will provide a list of all students who successfully completed the course to the Registrar.
- Division Dean or Department Chair
- The Division Dean or Department Chair must approve any course that is being requested for FYE Equivalency status.
- FYE Coordinator
- The FYE Coordinator will work with the instructor to ensure the course meets FYE 100 competencies.
- In their role as advisor to the Chief Academic Officer, the FYE Coordinator will either endorse or not endorse the course for FYE Equivalency status. If the FYE Coordinator does not endorse the course, they will send a memo to the Chief Academic Officer outlining their reasons.
- Chief Academic Officer
- The Chief Academic Officer has ultimate authority to grant FYE Equivalency status.
- If the CAO chooses not to grant FYE Equivalency status, then they will inform the instructor of the decision and reasons behind the choice.
- If the CAO chooses to grant FYE Equivalency status, then they will inform the instructor of the decision and forward the signed FYE Equivalency Course Request form to the Registrar and amend the list of courses with approved FYE Equivalency status.
- The Office of the CAO will be responsible for maintaining and updating the list of courses with approved FYE Equivalency status.
- The Registrar will assign the corresponding Student Group to those students who have successfully completed the FYE Equivalency course.
- The graduation exemption will be put into the student’s permanent record.