College-wide Email Distribution List Access Procedure
Division: Institutional Effectiveness
SCC Policy Number: SPR3.3.21-1
Approved SCC President/CEO: 3/27/2020
Reference KCTCS Policy: Administrative Policy 18.104.22.168
SCC adheres to KCTCS policy 3.3.21 related to use of email for the purpose of organizational operations. When specific access to and use of email systems are not specified in KCTCS policy, this procedure will be used to guide the access to college-wide email distribution lists. The procedure does not supplant KCTCS email policies and procedures but codifies local procedures in addition to KCTCS email policy.
Access to college-wide email distribution lists is limited to only those employees who require and need such access to perform their job duties. Unrestricted or open access to large-scale and/or college-wide email distribution lists has the potential to create information security issues and may provide a means for unapproved distribution of materials via the email system as described in KCTCS email policy 3.3.21. Access to college-wide email distribution lists is essential for certain employees to ensure the normal operations of the College. Approval and subsequent access to college-wide email distribution lists can be granted pursuant to the specific process and procedures described herein.
- Establishing Rationale and Need for Access. Employees seeking access to college-wide email distribution lists must submit an email request to their supervisor describing the rationale and need for access to specific email distribution lists.
- Supervisor Review. Supervisors will review employee requests for access to college-wide email distribution
lists and approve or deny.
- Approved Requests - If the supervisor approves the request for access, the supervisor will submit a request and rationale for access via email to their Vice President for approval. If the Vice President approves access, the Vice President notifies the Chief Information Officer/VP of Institutional Effectiveness via email. The Chief Information Officer/VP of, Institutional Effectiveness will enable access to the approved employee(s).
- Denied Requests – If the supervisor denies request for access, the employee will be notified of the decision via email. If the Vice President denies the request for access, the decision will be communicated to the supervisor requesting access. The supervisor will then notify the requesting employee of the decision via email.
- Suspending Access. Access to college-wide email distribution lists can be suspended if use of email distribution lists is deemed an unacceptable use per KCTCS Administrative Policies and Procedures 22.214.171.124.2 – Unacceptable Uses, and/or KCTCS Policy 4.2.5 Information and Information Technology Responsible Use Policy, or in violation of KCTCS Policy 3.3.21. Supervisors are responsible for communicating the suspension of college-wide email distribution list access to the Chief Information Officer/VP of Institutional Effectiveness. The Chief Information Officer/VP of Institutional Effectiveness will ensure that access is suspended.
- Record Keeping. The Chief Information Officer/VP of Institutional Effectiveness will maintain a list of employees who have access to college-wide email distribution lists.
- Requesting Email Distribution (without access to College-Wide Distribution List). If an employee without access to a college-wide email distribution list needs information sent to a college-wide email distribution list, they should submit the request for distribution to their supervisor via email. The request should include the information to be sent and the desired distribution/recipient list. If this situation occurs frequently, the employee can request access to a college-wide distribution list using the procedures contained herein.