Paid Sick Leave Procedure for Faculty
Division: Business Services/Human Resources
SCC Policy Number: SPR2.14.2-1
Approved SCC President/CEO: 6/28/2021
Reference KCTCS Policy: Administrative Policy 2.14.2
The Human Resources Department coordinates all faculty sick leave requests of more than three days. Faculty are allowed up to five paid sick days per semester by KCTCS policy, which do not require further approval, except for coordinating with the supervisor. If more than five days are needed, faculty members may request up to 30 calendar days (not work days) of paid leave through HR. The HR Department will work with the President/CEO for paid sick leave approval beyond five days. If the initial five days have not been used previously, they are included as part of the request from the President/CEO, not in addition to it. Paid sick leave requests that require the approval of the President/CEO will also require documentation from a health care provider including Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) documents, if eligible. While the HR department coordinates the approval of paid leave and administration of FMLA absences, it is fully the employee’s responsibility to notify and update their supervisor for any absences or medical leaves.
After the first month of approved paid leave is exhausted, the Somerset Community College procedure is that the faculty member must utilize any available vacation days or other source of paid leave, if applicable (example: banked leave from a previous staff position). When all available vacation/paid leave is exhausted, if the faculty member is still unable to work as documented by a qualified health care provider, the faculty member would then be eligible to request a second month, up to a maximum of six months total paid sick leave.
- If reviewed and approved leave time (continuous or intermittent) extends into July of the next fiscal year, the faculty member is required to utilize their new year vacation award until exhausted before requesting more paid sick days.
- For intermittent leave, one month of paid sick time equates to 22 work days.
- Employees must be in a paid leave status to receive pay for holidays, emergency closing, or institutional closing.
- If in a paid leave status, holidays which occur during a full week of consecutive paid leave, will be paid as holidays; however, they will also count as FMLA days for purposes of calculating FMLA days used.
- Holidays are not counted toward the FMLA balance of days used if leave is intermittent or if they occur during less than a full week of consecutive paid leave.
- The college does not count institutional closings or emergency closings against the approved paid sick leave balance or the FMLA balance.