What is Electrical Technology?
The Electrical Technology program at Somerset Community College focuses on preparing students for various entry-level electrical positions in industry and the building trades. The study of electrical theory in the classroom and the practical application of that theory in labs provide the foundation of this program.
This program is versatile in offering two different diploma tracks—Construction Electrician and Industrial Electrician. Students enrolled in the program are required to achieve a minimum grade of “C” in the technical core and in those courses selected as technical electives.
What are my career choices?
Since electricity has become an integral part of everyday life, an adequate supply
of electrical power is necessary, as well as a reliable system for efficient utilization.
Because of this there is a continuing need for qualified electrical technicians.
Graduates of the MIT: Electrical Technology program at Somerset Community College, acquire the knowledge and skills for employment in such career areas as electrical engineering technicians, power plant technicians, in electrical construction, in industrial maintenance and as technical representatives.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
- Electrical Trainee Level I (8 credit hours)
- Electrical Trainee Level II (13 credit hours)
- Residential Electricity Level I (14 credit hours)
- Residential Electricity Level II (21-22 credit hours)
- Electrical Motor Control Level I (28-30 credit hours)
- Electrical Motor Control Level II (35-38 credit hours)
- Electrical Construction (31-33 credit hours)
- Construction Electrician Track (48-49 credit hours)
- Industrial Electrician Track (54-56 credit hours)
Download Program Overview (pdf)
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.