CPR, Phlebotomy & Nurse Aide Certificates
Looking for a certificate in Nursing Aide, CPR or Phlebotomy? Then you are in the right place! Check out our offerings below and contact us if you have any questions on how to get started.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Somerset Community College has limited state nurse aide testing. Contact Christy Crabtree at 606-451-6841 to schedule an appointment.
Somerset Community College offers the following options for nurse aide classes:
- Fall/Spring: 8 week classes (meets one day a week)
- Summer: 3 week classes
NAA 100 – Nursing Assistant Skills I
3 Credit Hour
Program details: Employers are looking for honest, hardworking, caring nurse aides to care for their residents. When you are state certified as nurse aide (SRNA) , you may work in a hospital, doctor’s office, nursing center or any place that hires aides. There are many opportunities available in this field. Come train at our facility. Our Instructors can prepare you to be successful!
Nurse aides assist with bathing, dressing, feeding, walking, toileting, and other activities. They are under the supervision of a licensed nurse.
Information about nurse aide classes at the Somerset Community College:
- The Cabinet for Health Services Department of Medicaid Services mandates training requirements of this program.
- Offered at Somerset, Laurel, Russell, and McCreary campuses.
- Offered at various times and days.
- Face-to-face traditional classes taught in summer
- Hybrid class–meet in person one day a week.
- 2– step TB skin test required.
- Background check/drug screen required. Instructions to obtain this given in class.
- Will complete at least 16 hours of clinical in nursing home setting.
- Once student completes the 75 hour course in its entirety and passes with a “C” or greater, student may take the State Nurse Aide Exam.
- State Nurse Aide exam is administered at Somerset Community College.
- Cost of State Nurse Aide exam is $75, Nurse Aide Written Test is $40 and the Oral Nurse Aide Written Test is $55 and is not included with tuition.
- Cost of class- $700-800.
- Classes taught by qualified instructors.
- Hands-on training at area nursing homes.
- Students need white scrubs and shoes.
- This course is required for the Practical Nursing and Associate Nursing programs.
Note: Nurse Aide Classes are listed as NAA 100 in the KCTCS catalog.
Frances Beaty and Christy Crabtree
CPR courses are offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Courses are taught on Saturdays in the fall and spring semesters. Courses are taught on Friday's in the summer semester.
CPR 100 – CPR for Healthcare Professionals
1 Credit Hour
Meets one day only
We offer the CPR certificate class on both the Somerset and London Campuses.
Somerset North Campus
Laurel North Campus
Allied Health Building #3
The CPR certification (American Heart Association) is required for these Health Sciences Division Programs:
- Associate Degree Nursing (RN)
- Medical Assisting
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nursing (LPN)
- Medicaid Nurse Aide
- Respiratory Care
- Surgical Technology
Costs of CPR 100:
- One credit hour tuition
- Textbook bundled with mask
- CPR eCard fee is billed with tuition
The Phlebotomy for the Healthcare Worker certificate is available upon successful completion of the required courses. (‘C’ grade or better in each course). Students do not have to be admitted to the Medical Laboratory Technician Program to enroll in the certificate courses. There are a limited number of spaces in the courses for the certificate due to availability of clinical space.
PHB 151 - Phlebotomy
1 Credit Hour
Meets the first four weeks of a semester
PHB 152 - Phlebotomy Clinical Experience
1 Credit Hour
Meets after completion of PHB 151
MLT 101 - Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
3 Credit Hours
Meets entire semester
Total hours: 5
Classes meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is a mandatory orientation before classes begin. Date and time is TBA.
Minimum requirements in reading, math, and writing skills are necessary. If minimum requirements are not met in these areas, the courses needed can be taken at the same time as the certificate courses.
Enrollment begins on March 1st for the fall semester and October 1st for the spring semester. See your advisor for preregistration as classes fill quickly.
The only course you can enroll in without restriction is PHB 151. Health Sciences Staff will take care of your registration for MLT 101 & PHB 152. Courses only offered on the Somerset North Campus.
For more information, contact the Division Assistant Tanya Cowan at 606-451-6764 or MLT Instructor Kimberly Land at 606-451-6761.