SCC’s Fruit of the Lens Photography club to host exhibit highlighting Fall in Appalachia: Seeking participants in the community
Published on Oct 30, 2023
Vibrant colors, soft lighting and varied textures are just a few reasons why fall is a great time to take photos. And the beauty of south-central Kentucky this autumn will be the focus for members of Somerset Community College’s Fruit of the Lens photography club.
“Fall Into Nature” is the theme for this fall’s exhibit. It is the club’s 23rd show since its first in 2012.
“The transformation of landscapes during fall is dramatic,” says Cindy Burton, faculty advisor for the club. “Trees lose their leaves, revealing new perspectives and features that were previously hidden. This changing scenery allows photographers to capture the beauty of nature's cycles.”
Burton said that entries to the exhibit will be accepted until Sunday, Nov. 19 and that a premiere showing of the presentation will be held Tuesday, Nov. 28 at noon in the Citizens National Bank Community Room located of in the Rogers Student Commons. All members are encouraged to attend this showing.
While Fruit of the Lens photography club is an SCC student organization, anyone with an interest in taking digital images is invited to join and participate. To become a member, simply email Cindy Burton and ask to be in the club.
“The main criterion for joining the club is just to enjoy taking photographs,” Burton said. She noted that members can use any type of camera, even the camera on their phone, for their submissions.
Additional information on the club is available on Facebook at “Fruit of the Lens photography club.” This page will also include links to past exhibits.
Exhibit Rules and Guidelines
- All club members are eligible to submit entries to this exhibit. To become a member, send a request to Cindy Burton.
- Any camera, including on phones, can be used.
- Entries must pertain to “Fall Into Nature” theme. All photos must be appropriate, tasteful and taken in south-central Kentucky.
- Limit entries to your favorite ten (10) photos. Photo size should be 1 to 5 MB.
- Photos manipulated in program such as Photoshop will be disqualified. (Normal color adjustments are perfectly acceptable.)
- Name image files in consecutive order, such as “MaryE-1, MaryE-2, MaryE-3, etc.”
- E-mail entries using the above naming system to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline for submitting photos for this exhibit is Sunday, November 19 at 12 midnight.