What is KY FAME Advanced Manufacturing Technician (AMT)?
The Cumberlands KY FAME AMT program at Somerset Community College prepares students for a rewarding career in a high demand field. KY FAME AMT is a five-semester educational program that provides real-world paid working experience through a sponsorship with one of our area manufacturers.
Students who qualify and are chosen to participate in the program attend classes two full days a week and work a minimum of three days a week for a local employer while learning and gaining experience in subjects such as electricity, fluid power, mechanics, fabrication, and robotics. Students who complete the program earn an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Industrial Maintenance Technology (IMT), as well as the AMT certification.
How To apply for the program?
Acceptance into the KY FAME AMT program involves a selective admissions process. Once a prospective student has completed the admissions process and met the required benchmarks of the program, participating employers will review applications, interview and select qualifying students for sponsorship with their companies. To apply, follow these steps:
- Complete the KY FAME AMT application using the blue KY FAME Application button below.
- Complete SCC’s online admissions application using the blue Start Your Application button at the bottom of this webpage – choose the Fall semester as the start/admit term option for when you will begin classes in this program at SCC, and the following program plan/major: MIT: Industrial Maintenance Technology and sub-plan: Advanced Manufacturing Technician Track
- Complete the admissions process by submitting your official high school, GED and/or
college transcripts, and either submit your placement test scores taken within the
last 4 years or schedule to test at SCC. Test score benchmarks required to qualify
for the KY FAME AMT program are:
ACT KYOTE Wonderlic Math 19 22 288 (Quantitative) English 18 6 325 (Verbal) Reading 20 20 See Verbal above
- Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements of the program or do not provide
the required documentation will not be included in the interview process or considered
for sponsorship in the program.
KY FAME Application
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
First Semester (Fall):
IMT 110 - Industrial Maintenance Electrical Principles | 3 credit hours AND
IMT 111 - Industrial Maintenance Electrical Principles Lab | 2 credit hours
FPX 100 - Fluid Power | 3 credit hours AND
FPX 101 - Fluid Power Lab | 2 credit hours
IET 1301 - Safety Culture | 1 credit hours
MAT 116 - Technical Mathematics or higher | 3 credit hour
Heritage/Humanities | 3 credit hours
Total: 17 credit hours
Second Semester (Spring):
EET 270 - Electrical Motor Controls I | 2 credit hours AND
EET 271 - Electrical Motor Controls I Lab | 2 credit hours
EET 272 - Electrical Motor Controls II | 2 credit hours
EET 273 - Electrical Motor Controls II Lab | 2 credit hours
IMT 150 - Maintaining Industrial Equipment | 3 credit hours AND
IMT 151 - Maintaining Industrial Equipment Lab | 2 credit hours
IET 1302 - 5S | 1 credit hours
Written Communication | 3 credit hours
Total: 17 credit hours
Third Semester (Summer):
CMM 110 - Fundamentals of Machine Tools A w/ lab | 3 credit hours
BRX 120 - Basic Blueprint Reading | 3 credit hours
IMT 1303 - Total Production System Maintenance | 1 credit hour
Total: 7 credit hours
Fourth Semester (Fall):
IMT 100 - Welding for Maintenance | 3 credit hours AND
IMT 101 - Welding for Maintenance Lab | 2 credit hours
EET 276 - Programmable Logic Controllers | 2 credit hours AND
EET 277 - Programmable Logic Controllers Lab | 2 credit hours
IET 1304 - Problem Solving | 1 credit hour
Social/Behavioral Sciences | 3 credit hours
Oral Communication | 3 credit hours
Total: 16 credit hours
Fifth Semester (Spring):
IMT 200 - Industrial Robotics and Robotic Maintenance | 4 credit hours
IMT 198 - Practicum | 2 credit hours
IMT 289 - Industrial Maintenance Technology Capstone | 1 credit hours
IET 1305 - Maintenance Reliability | 1 credit hour
CAD 100 - AutoCad | 3 credit hours
Natural Sciences | 3-4 credit hours
Total: 14-15 credit hours
Total credits for program: 71-72
- Students must attend the KY FAME orientation held on a date to be determined during the summer prior to classes beginning in August.
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses and a minimum grade of “satisfactory” on each work evaluation throughout the program.
- Students must comply with SCC student policies and the Code of Student Conduct as outlined on SCC’s website. Student’s must also adhere to their sponsoring employers’ policies, procedures and expectations throughout their sponsorship.
- Sponsored employment will begin the summer before classes start in August and sponsored students will earn at least $12.00 per hour while participating in the program.
- Sponsor placement, salary, any benefits including possible tuition assistance or reimbursement, work schedule, and continued sponsorship is determined by the student’s sponsoring manufacturer.
- Sponsored students will gain approximately 1824+ hours of on-the-job training and work experience throughout the course of this program.
- This program is eligible for federal financial aid, the Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship (WRKS), KEES (Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship), Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding, and possible additional scholarships for qualified applicants.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.