SCC students offered new Textbook Rental Program
Somerset Community College students now have another option when it comes to obtaining textbooks. KCTCS and Barnes amp; Noble have teamed up to offer a textbook rental program that will provide tremendous savings for students.
Dr. Jo Marshall, President and CEO of SCC, commented on the new program, The book rental program is a great choice for some students. It can reduce a students textbook costs up to 50% which is a tremendous savings for our students.
KCTCS is part of a select group of colleges/universities offering students a textbook rental program. More than 20 percent of titles are offered at KCTCS 16 colleges across the state.
- Renting books either in the bookstore or from the bookstores website;
- The ability to moderately highlight and take notes in rented books;
- The choice to return rented books to the bookstore in person or via mail;
- A wide variety of rental fee payment options including the use of financial aid;
- Reminder e-mail notifications noting when the rental period is ending and when all textbooks need to be returned to the bookstore.
Barnes amp; Noble has been under contract to manage KCTCS college bookstores since July 1, 2004, with the initial five-year contract having been renewed in June 2009.
The management of KCTCS bookstores by Barnes amp; Noble has given rise to significant economies of scale in operations systemwide, resulting in additional and enhanced services, while significantly helping to contain and reduce cost. Barnes amp; Nobles introduction of book rental will further enhance the options to KCTCS students while enabling greater affordability.
Somerset Community College is a comprehensive two-year institution of higher education. SCC has campuses in Somerset and London, centers in Clinton, McCreary, Casey, and Russell Counties. For admission and registration information visit the website somerset.kctcs.edu or call toll free at 1-877-629-9722.