SCC Now Enrolling Individuals in Accelerating Opportunity Initiative in Welding, Nursing and Culinary Arts
|Somerset Community College and Pulaski, Laurel and McCreary Adult Education faculty and staff recently joined together for team teaching training to implement Accelerating Opportunity this Fall. Opportunities will be available for enrollment in welding, nursing and culinary arts programs for qualifying individuals.|
Somerset Community College faculty and staff recently joined with adult education staff from Pulaski, Laurel and McCreary Counties to train in team teaching for the program. Currently, SCC is enrolling individuals in the initiative for theWelding program at the Somerset and Laurel Campuses, and theCulinary Arts and Nursing Assistant programs at the SCC McCreary Center.
The goals of Accelerating Opportunity Initiative are to:
- Identify and remove barriers that prevent adults from entering and completing their education
- Allow adults to earn stackable credentials with academic credit
- Work with the business community to ensure students are getting the skills they need in the workplace
- Implement worker-friendly, flexible programs that provide clear and relevant educational opportunities that result in a job with family sustaining wages
Whats different with Accelerating Opportunity KY?
- Combines basic skills education (math, reading and writing) with technical skills training
- More support within the classroom with two instructors
- Students receive additional assistance with tutoring, study skills and personal student services
- Work closely with community and industry employers to provide career opportunities and development
- Students receive one-on-one services with a Success Coach/Career Coach (resume writing, job search, interview prep, etc.)
Who may qualify for Accelerating Opportunity?
- A student who needs additional help in math, reading or writing
- A student who has not yet earned their GED
- A student who would like training in 1-2 semesters that can lead to a high demand job
For more information, contact Melissa Chmura, Somerset Community College Accelerating
Opportunity Coordinator, at (606) 451-6758 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accelerating Opportunity is a community college initiative of Jobs for the Future, with funding from the Bill amp; Melinda Gates Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the Kresge Foundation and the Open Society Foundations, and in partnership with Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, the National Council for Workforce Education, and The National College Transition Network. The core partners in the state are Kentucky Community and Technical College System, Kentucky Adult Education and the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training.