SCC Geo"CASH"ing - Free classes if you can find them!
Somerset Community College is giving away 50 free classes in honor of its 50th anniversary;
Tuition waivers to be hidden around campuses and centers
Somerset Community College is giving away 50 free classes, but theres a catchyou have to find them.
In celebration of SCCs 50th anniversary, the college is giving away 50 free three-credit-hour classes. These classes can be used by any new or current students. The certificates for the free classes will be hidden anywhere there is an SCC campus or center, and clues will be posted on SCCs Facebook page throughout the initiative, called geoCASHing. SCC has campuses in Somerset and London, and centers in McCreary, Russell, Clinton and Casey Counties.
For those not familiar with the official term geocaching, it is a recreational activity that uses a global position system (GPS) to hide and seek containers anywhere in the world. For two weeks, SCC is inviting the public to participate in this geoCASHing experience in order to win a free class.
There are restrictions to this initiative, which will begin August 4 and end August 14, 2015. They include the following:
- Once a container is found, the recipient must take a selfie photograph of themselves with the certificate in the location he or she found it and note the location either through description or GPS coordinates.*
- The photograph must be posted to SCCs Facebook page at facebook.com/somersetcc with the tag #SCCgeocash
- Last, the certificate must be presented in person to a financial aid or other designated
SCC representative at any SCC campus or center between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday
- JR Thompson at the SCC Somerset North Campus (808 Monticello Street, Somerset) is the main contact for this initiative. His office is in the Harold Rogers Student Commons Building, office #119.
- Financial Aid office at the SCC Laurel North Campus (100 University Dr., London)
- Main office at the SCC Casey Center (1 Pettyjohn Street, Liberty), SCC Clinton Center (1273 Ky. Highway 90 W, Albany), McCreary Center (141 College Street, Whitley City), or Russell Center (848 W. Steve Wariner Drive, Russell Springs)
Once the certificate is verified, SCC scholarship coordinator JR Thompson will contact the recipient with verification of the tuition waiver, valued at $441.
The fine print: Only one tuition waiver can be applied per person. Waivers are not transferrable. Waivers must be applied to one class in the Fall 2015, Spring 2016 or Summer 2016 semester. All certificates must be presented in person by September 15, 2015.
*Note: if an individual locates a tuition waiver tube, but is unable to take a photograph and post to social media due to lack of equipment (no phone or internet service), the waiver can still be claimed by bringing the certificate to one of the financial aid offices listed above. A photograph can then be taken and posted by SCC staff.
Hint: All 50 geoCASHing tubes look the same and will be hidden within a one mile radius of each campus or center. Some tubes may be hidden indoors as well as outdoor. To see a list of SCC campuses and maps, visit: somerset.kctcs.edu/About_Us/Campuses_and_Maps
Questions? Call JR Thompson at (606) 451-6644.