Institutional Closing

We're open this week (December 17 - December 21) for all of your registration needs! Starting Monday, December 24, 2018 through Friday, January 4, 2019 all SCC locations will be closed in observance of the holidays. SCC offices will reopen on Monday, January 7, 2018. If you need help during this time, please contact the Student Help Desk at 855-66GO-SCC. Happy Holidays from SCC!

News Archive

Cornelia Dozier Cooper Endowment Fund Makes First Gift Toward Somerset Community Colleges Buildsmart Initiative

CDC donation pic
Above: The Cornelia Dozier Cooper Endowment Fund Board of Directors presenting Somerset Community College (SCC) President and CEO Dr. Jo Marshall with a check for $100,000. The gift is part of the KCTCS BuildSmart Initiative and will go toward the plan and design of a new arts and humanities building on the SCC Somerset Campus. From left to right: Charlene Harris, Chair of the SCC Board of Directors; Cindy Clouse, SCC Director of Advancement; Dr. Jo Marshall, SCC President amp; CEO; Libby Shearer, CDC Board Member; Cornelia Dozier Cooper; Rob Thompson, CDC Board Member; Melody Moss, CDC Board Member; and Peggy Sherry, CDC Board Member.
The Cornelia Dozier Cooper Endowment Fund Board of Directors recently presented Somerset Community College (SCC) President and CEO Dr. Jo Marshall with a check for $100,000. The gift is part of the KCTCS BuildSmart Initiative and will go toward the plan and design of a new arts and humanities building on the SCC Somerset Campus.

The KCTCS BuildSmart Initiative is a public-private partnership. Agency bonds will be issued to pay for 75 percent of the total project scope and the remaining 25 percent will be matched from private and other funds raised by the individual KCTCS colleges.

It is a privilege to give the first gift to the SCC BuildSmart Initiative for the future expansion of an arts and humanities building on the SCC Somerset Campus, said Cooper. The CDC Endowment Fund supports the arts in our region and we are honored to help fund this endeavor.

When the new arts and humanities building becomes a reality, it will include a full performing arts theater, an art gallery, public exhibition area, laboratories and classrooms, and possibly a state-of-the-art kitchen to expand the culinary arts program.

Having a new arts and humanities building on the Somerset campus has been a need and a dream for the college over the last few years, said Dr. Marshall. Receiving this gift from the Cornelia Dozier Cooper Endowment Fund is wonderful and it shows the confidence this organization has in the college.