Why Accelerating Opportunity KY?
- 54% of all jobs in Kentucky (1.1 million jobs) will require some postsecondary training beyond High School in 2018.
- 71% of students entering KCTCS need remediation in one or more areas.
The Accelerating Opportunity initiative is all about jobs, the economy, and improving opportunity for adults. This initiative is also helping drive economic recovery by helping adults get the credentials and skills they need to get and succeed in family-sustaining jobs. Kentucky’s vision is to implement a collaborative career pathways model that prepares students to be college and career ready.
Implementation of Accelerating Opportunity KY will begin fall semester 2013 at Somerset Community College. Pathways offered are Welding, Nursing Assistant and Culinary Arts.
The goals of Accelerating Opportunity are to:
- Identify and remove barriers that prevent adults from entering and completing their education.
- Allow adults to earn stackable credentials that bear academic credit.
- Work with business community to ensure students are getting the skills they need in the workplace.
- Implement worker-friendly, flexible programs that provide clear and relevant educational opportunities that result in a job with family sustaining wages.
What’s different with Accelerating Opportunity KY?
- Combines basic skills education (math, reading and writing) with technical skills training.
- More support within the classroom with two instructors.
- Students receive additional assistance with tutoring, study skills and personal student services.
- Work closely with community and industry employers to provide career opportunities and development.
- Students receive one-on-one services with a Success Coach/Career Coach (resume writing, job search, interview prep, etc).
How do I qualify?
- Must be interested in Welding, Nursing Assistant or Culinary Arts.
- Take the TABE assessment delivered by KY Adult Education.
- Contact Melissa Chmura, Coordinator .
For more information, contact:
Somerset Community College
Accelerating Opportunity Coordinator
Accelerating Opportunity is a community college initiative of Jobs for the Future, with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the Kresge Foundation and the Open Society Foundations, and in partnership with Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, the National Council for Workforce Education, and The National College Transition Network. The core partners in the state are Kentucky Community and Technical College System, Kentucky Adult Education and the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training.