Somerset Community College Student Ambassadors represent and promote the college at campus and community events, assist with recruiting efforts, campus tours and provide information about SCC to prospective students, school groups and the general public.
*Note: If you have submitted an application to become an SCC Student Ambassador and
have not received a confirmation email, please contact Melissa Winstead by calling 606 451-6657 or
by e-mail .
- 6 credit hours earned at SCC with a 3.00 GPA
- Currently enrolled at SCC as a full time or part time student
- A genuine interest in assisting others
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Good work ethic
- Educate prospective students, school groups and the general public on the programs, resources
- Represent SCC in a responsible, ethical and professional manner.
- Project a positive image of the college
- Conduct tours for individuals and groups
- Represent SCC at campus and community events
- Share first-hand information about your college experience and provide accurate and useful information to new students to assist them in transitioning into college
- Encourage fellow students to complete their educational goals
- Work 40 hours each semester
- Students will be required to work 40 hours per semester and as compensation will receive a scholarship equivalent to 6 hours for each semester.
- Will receive training in areas such as professional etiquette, leadership, knowledge of SCC, communication skills and customer service
- Through their role as an Ambassador students will have the opportunity to network with leaders in the community and make wonderful contacts.
- Will be provided a uniform.
- A great resume builder!
The college is currently accepting applications for ambassadors for each academic year. The deadline is April 15. Any SCC student interested in applying should complete the online application and submit it to SCC Student Ambassador Coordinator Melissa Winstead. (This application may be submitted electronically by clicking the "submit" button at the end of the form.)
Students will receive a confirmation that their application has been received. If you have not received a confirmation please contact Melissa Winstead. She can be e-mailed at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 606-451-6657. Her office is located in Room 207 in the Harold Rogers Student Commons.
During my time as an Ambassador I was able to gain leadership skills, mold and shape my communication skills and step out of my comfort zone. There was a time where I was hesitate to speak in front of a classroom let alone a large crowd. But, this program encouraged me and aided me in overcoming that obstacle. This program provides the tools and resources needed to transform each of you into leaders. I can say this, the Student Ambassador Program was one of the highlights of my time as a student at SCC. This program has entailed many enjoyable memories but it has also given me a solid foundation.
-Courtney Martin, former Student Ambassador
Becoming a Student Ambassador for SCC has been a great honor for me. Representing this school while meeting many new friends, future students, and dignitaries has been so rewarding. It is a fun and exciting program that I have been blessed to have been a part of. My experiences with this prestigious program will be in my fondest memories.
- Makayla Dalton, former Student Ambassador
I am currently a Student Ambassador for Somerset Community College. This is my first year serving as an Ambassador and I would not trade it for anything. This program not only helps you develop better leadership and communication skills, but you meet a lot of wonderful people. Also, in the program you make several new friendships that will last a lifetime. With this program I was able to not only help out the college, but also help out my community. I highly recommend this program to any individual looking to gain better skills and be an asset to this college and community. It is an enjoyable program to be apart of and I cannot wait to be apart of the Student Ambassador program again next year!
- Cayley Blevins, Current Student Ambassador
As a former Student Ambassador, I am grateful for the many opportunities the program afforded me. During my 2 years as an ambassador, I not only got to meet many people and make important contacts for career building, but I gained leadership and communication skills that have proved to be a strong asset for me in the workplace! I highly recommend and encourage all individuals with a drive for success to apply for the Student Ambassador program! You will never regret the knowledge you will gain, the people you will meet, or the fun you will have!
- Kelli Edwards, former Student Ambassador
The SCC Student Ambassador program is one the best opportunities I have ever had the privilege of participating in. Not only do I get to work with phenomenal peers and fellow students, but I get to participate within the community meeting and working with equally phenomenal leaders. I have also learned from and worked with Somerset Community College staff I would otherwise have never met. The Ambassador Program has opened my mind to new experiences and opened doors of new opportunity in my life.
- Alicia Cook, Current Ambassador
I am currently a Student Ambassador at Somerset Community College. This is my second year serving and I absolutely LOVE it! I have had so many opportunities to attend wonderful events, meet guest speakers, get to know the faculty, and make friendships that will last a lifetime! I'm sad I will be graduating this coming May, but I have great memories of being a Student Ambassador. I would highly recommend this great program. This program is a great way to strengthen your leadership skills along with your communication skills. If you love being apart of a team this is definitely a program to consider! I hope many of you apply to the Student Ambassador program this coming April! If you have any questions, need more information, or interested in the program please contact Melissa Winstead! She's a very sweet and knowledgeable lady who is the Coordinator for the Student Ambassador program. Don't forget the deadline is April 15th!!!
- Briana Allen, Current Student Ambassador