alert icon SCC offices will be closed until 1:00 p.m. on Friday, January 26, for a college-wide meeting. We will be ready to assist you after 1:00 p.m. and until normal business closing hours. 

Financial Aid FAQs


How do I know if I am eligible?

To determine their eligibility, every student interested in financial aid should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It must be submitted electronically at:

What is the FSA ID?

The FSA ID is used to sign the FAFSA, as well as other financial aid documents, such as the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling for student loans. The student must create one, and dependent students must also have their parents create one at

Can I receive financial aid if I did not receive a high school diploma or GED?

For the most part, a student must have a high school diploma or GED in order to receive financial aid. For students working with our Accelerated Opportunities program, there may be some eligibility, dependent on the program that you are enrolled in. We would suggest working with our Accelerated Opportunities staff if you have questions.


Must all students receiving financial aid be a degree seeking student?

Yes, all students receiving financial aid must be a degree seeking student.


If a student's FAFSA is selected for verification, what documents must be submitted?

This can differ from student to student. In general, a minimum of the verification worksheet, and either the use of the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), or a copy of your official IRS tax return transcripts must be submitted. The DRT is completed while filling out the FAFSA. The tax return transcript can be ordered online at or by phone at 1-800-908-9946. We suggest you review your student self-service account or consult with a financial aid representative if you have further questions, or need additional documentation


Does financial aid pay for certificates?

In order to be eligible for any federal financial aid funds, a certificate must be at least 16 hours in length, and approved by the Department of Education (ED). If there are questions concerning the eligibility of a certificate, you may speak to your advisor, or the financial aid office


How do I know how much money I will get?

After completing the FAFSA, each student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR). This report provides the student an immediate estimate on how much they may be eligible for during that award year. These are just estimates, and you can confirm this with the financial aid office.


What is the maximum amount of financial aid I can receive?

Award eligibility differs greatly from student to student. Currently, the maximum Pell Grant would be $2,908 per semester for a full-time student, depending on their eligibility. Students may also qualify for additional funds such as the College Access Program (CAP) Grant and Federal Supplemental Education Grant (FSEOG), as well as scholarships, depending on their eligibility. We encourage you to contact a financial aid representative if you have questions.

How many credit hours must I be registered for in order to receive financial aid?

Generally, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours), in required coursework, to receive most types of aid including Pell Grant, CAP Grant, KEES, and Direct Loans. However, a student may receive a Pell Grant for less than half-time enrollment, depending on their eligibility.


What do I need with me in order to complete the FAFSA?

It is recommended that, at a minimum, you have your most recent tax return (1040 form). If you are married, and filed separately, also have your spouse’s most recent return. If you are a dependent student, you would also need your parents’ return(s).


What happens after I apply?

Once you apply, it will take approximately 3-5 business days for the college to receive your application from the Department of Education. Once this occurs, you will be notified via your KCTCS student email that it has been received. If any additional documentation is required, the college will reach out to you via email, mail, and your student self-service account. Otherwise, you may monitor your student self-service account for awards.



When do I get my money?

Refunds, for those who are eligible, are typically scheduled to be processed to student BankMobile Vibe accounts approximately 5 weeks after courses begin for the 16-week term.

How will I get the aid money?

Any residual funds that students may be eligible for, after tuition, books, and other fees are paid, can be received via direct deposit, paper check and a BankMobile Vibe account.  Students will receive a personal code from BankMobile in order to login to the BankMobile site at and make their refund selection.

Do I have to maintain certain academic requirements to receive financial aid?

Yes. All students receiving financial aid are required to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, pass 67% of all coursework attempted, and be on pace to graduate within 150% of your program’s required hours.

Can I use financial aid to get my books?

For students who completed the financial aid process on time, books can be charged to their financial aid as early as one week prior to the start of their first course. Students must complete the Financial Aid Release (FAR) on their student self-service account in order to charge.


What if my income situation has changed?

You may contact the Financial Aid Office and request a recalculation of your aid, based on updated information. Examples of reasons for such as request include, but may not be limited to: plant closing, death/divorce of parent/spouse, or excessive medical expenses.


Is college work-study available?

Federal work-study (FWS) may be available for eligible students. If you are interested in the work-study program, please contact our FWS Coordinator, at


Can financial aid pay for developmental coursework?

Yes. Financial aid can pay for up to 30 hours of developmental coursework.


Is financial aid available for the summer?

Summer financial aid eligibility must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. It is typically only available to students who did not attend full-time in the fall or spring. We encourage you to contact the financial aid office with questions.