Doyle Decker, Program Coordinator
|Radiography (72 credit hours)|
|CT_Certificate (16 credit hours)|
|Radiography Admissions Point System (pdf)|
Shanda Catron, Clinical Coordinator
The application deadline for the Fall 2017 admission cycle will be April 28, 2017.
The Radiography program at Somerset Community College prepares the graduate to become
a radiographer and offers training for administering ionizing radiation for medical
diagnostic imaging purposes. Graduates are prepared to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technology Examination. The curriculum is comprised of specialized
courses in radiography along with concentrated studies in the basic sciences, mathematics
and general education.
Specifics about this program include:
- Five semester program
- Leads to Associate in Applied Science Degree (AAS)
- Radiography coursework
- Theory/skills presented in lecture/lab format
- Clinical Component: Community agencies providing clinical services
- Selective admissions/limited enrollment
Program Mission Statement
The mission of the SCC Radiography Program is to provide a quality, affordable education in the field of radiologic technology. Using theory and performance-based instruction, the program’s faculty strives to provide an educational environment which equips the student with entry level radiography skills, as well as strengthening critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills.
1. The student will demonstrate expansion of knowledge acquired prior to the program in general education courses.
2. The student will exhibit critical thinking and problem solving skills.
3. The student will utilize oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
4. The student will demonstrate professional growth and development.
5. The student will develop clinical performance skills and competencies of an entry level radiographer.
The program accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology, JRCERT, 20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 2850, Chicago, IL 60606, 312-704-5300, FAX: 312-704-304, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.jrcert.org The program currently has an eight year accreditation award from the JRCERT for the period of 2012-2020.
Download the Radiography Program Effectiveness Data (pdf)
Download the Program Assessment Plan (pdf)
Download the Transfer Agreement with KCTCS AAS and Morehead State University (pdf).
You can now participate in the online pre-admission conference.
After viewing the online pre-admission conference, a student may then obtain a program application and Statement of Understanding from Tanya Cowan, Alton Blakley Building, Room 301 (Somerset North Campus) or Kathy Howard, LNC Building #3, Room 214 (Laurel North Campus).
If a student applied to the program or attended a pre-admission conference in the past, the student must still view the online pre-admission conference each semester and submit a new application and other necessary information to be considered for acceptance.
Potential candidates are recommended to the President by the Radiography Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee will make their recommendations based on the following:
- Completion of BIO 137 and MAT 150 prior to beginning the program.
- Preference may be given to applicants who:
- Score a composite of 20 or above on ACT
- GPA of 3.0 based on the student’s overall GPA or their GPA of the required general education courses, whichever is highest. To have the general education courses used to calculate the student’s GPA, a minimum of 7 of the required 9 courses must be completed
- Completed biological and physical sciences, and math courses listed in Radiography Program Curriculum with a letter grade of an “A” or “B”
- Residents of Kentucky
Note: Since the CT clinical component is now required in the curriculum, making it a 16 credit hour certificate, CT courses now qualify for federal financial aid beginning in fall 2014.
Average GPA, ACT scores and total admission points for applicants admitted over the past five years:
|Year||Avg. GPA||AVG. ACT||Avg. Pts.|
Download the Radiography program overview (pdf)
Gainful Employment Information