Applying for Veterans Education Benefits

  1. File an application for benefits by printing out the paper application and bringing it in or by applying online.
    • Chapter 35 will file VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance.
    • Chapters 30, 33,1606,1607 and Post 9/11 will file VA form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. The signature page must be mailed to the St. Louis, MO Regional Office (PO Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830). You should also mail a copy of your DD 214 or DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) and a copy of your contract if you are eligible for the college fund (kicker).
    • Students applying for chapter 31 will need to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation representative for authorization to receive benefits.
  2. Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have the Veteran's V.A. file number to apply for benefits.
  3. Once you have registered for classes as a student at the college and filed an application for your VA education benefits, you must contact the School Certifying Official for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office.