The skills needed to analyze malfunctions and repair, rebuild and maintain construction equipment, agriculture equipment, or medium and heavy trucks are emphasized in this program. Students are provided instruction and experience in systems such as diesel engines, fuel injection, onboard computers, transmissions, steering and suspension, and brakes.
Associate in Applied Science
- General Occupational/Technical Studies with student’s plan of study in Diesel Technology.
- Construction Equipment Technician: 65-68 credit hours
- Agriculture Equipment Technician: 55-58 credit hours
- Medium and Heavy Truck Technician: 60-63 credit hours
- Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper: 25 credit hours
- Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Electrical/Electronics Systems Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Diesel Steering & Suspension Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Diesel Engine Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Diesel Mechanics Assistant: 29 credit hours
- Heavy Duty Drive Train Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Undercarriage Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper: 25 credit hours
- Fluid Power Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Preventive Maintenance Mechanic: 12 credit hours
- Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic: 30 credit hours
For program course requirements, consult the Diesel Technology Check Sheet.
There are no special admission requirements for this program. Please consult Maysville’s general admission requirements.
You can complete the Associate in Applied Science/General Occupational Technical Studies in two years as a full-time student. Diplomas and certificates can be completed in less time depending on your class load.
Most Diesel Technicians are employed by independent repair shops and businesses such as truck sales and service, construction companies, mining companies, and state highway departments.
According to the Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook, the median income for Diesel Technicians in 2004 was $39,104.
For More Information
606-783-1538 ext. 66341
Maysville Community and Technical College, Rowan Campus-Morehead
609 Viking Drive
Morehead, KY 40351
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.