Your instructor gives you an option to participate in a service-learning project. Where do you start? What do you do?
Online Tools and Resources:
Start with the Service-Learning Student Handbook (Download and save for future reference) for:
- a better understanding of service-learning
- the benefits of service activity
- important guidelines for you to observe while engaged in service to community
Prior to service, complete a Service-Learning Contract and Waiver and return the form to your instructor.
Reflection is key:
Service-Learning in a classroom setting differs from volunteering as it requires significant reflection before, during and after service activity.
Reflection is a REQUIRED COMPONENT in service-learning activities. You may consider the questions below during your service-learning experience.
1. Answer pre-reflection question(s) before starting service.
There are no right or wrong answers, nor a required length for answers. However we strongly recommend thoughtful consideration before, during, and after your service is completed.
2. Complete service and answer post reflection question(s).
For more information contact:
Maysville Community & Technical College (606) 759-7141, ext. 66190