International and Immigrant students banner image


Every non-immigrant visa-holding applicant whose native language is other than English must present official evidence of writing and reading competency in the English language by means of one of the following:  

• A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) report with a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based test or 61 on the internet-based test.
• A Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) report with a minimum score of 73.
• A transcript from an accredited American college or university or from a foreign college or university in which the English language is the primary language of instruction showing a minimum grade of "B" in college English 101 and English 102 or the equivalent.

Evidence of English competency by means of an assessment instrument must have been obtained within the previous eighteen (18) months prior to the first day of classes of the semester for which the applicant is applying. Non-immigrant visa-holding applicants must also submit the results of the ACT or other assessment instrument in accordance with the KCTCS assessment and placement policy.

For information concerning the TOEFL, contact them directly at Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6155, Princeton, NJ 08541-6155, USA, or by phone at (609) 771-7100, or at their website, .